1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show this is a projection on a vector space

1. Feb 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V=Mn(F) be the space of all nxn matrices over F; define TA=(1/2)(A+transpose(A)) for A in V.
    Verify that T is not only a linear operator on V, but is also a projection.

2. Relevant equations
    A is a projection when A squared=A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't see how this works since clearly (1/2)(A+transpose(A)) squared does not equal (1/2)(A+transpose(A)) for all matrices.

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2007 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A is a projection when A2 = A, not when (Ax)2 = Ax. So you don't need to look at whether

[tex]\left [\frac{1}{2}(A + A^t)\right ]^2 = \frac{1}{2}(A + A^t)[/tex]

You need to look at whether T2 = T, i.e. whether T(TA) = TA for all A, i.e. whether:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left [\left (\frac{1}{2}(A + A^t)\right ) + \left (\frac{1}{2}(A + A^t)\right )^t\right ] = \frac{1}{2}(A + A^t)[/tex]

Remember, you're used to writing A for your linear operators, and vectors in your vector space V are normally written as x or v or something. But now you have matrices AS THE VECTORS IN YOUR VECTOR SPACE, so you'll probably use A to stand for a vector, and now T is the operator.

And you still need to check linearity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?