1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a function is strictly decreasing on different intervals

1. Mar 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Define a function g on ℝ by f(x)=1/x if x < 0 and f(x)=-x if x≥0.
    Prove f is strictly decreasing on the intervals (-∞,0) and [0,∞), but that g is not decreasing on ℝ.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I understand what I need to show, but I often have trouble properly showing it. I broke it up into the three cases that the directions seem to indicate.

Show g(x)=1/x is strictly decreasing on (-∞,0)

Let x and y be any elements in the interval (-∞,0) that satisfy the inequality x < y.
    Since the function on the interval is just the reciprocal, all of the image is between -1 and 0.

For any x < y, it follows that f(x) > f(y) because the larger the magnitude of the element, the further away from 0 the element is and thus the closer its reciprocal is to 0.

Show g(x)=-x is strictly decreasing on [0,∞)

Since g is a linear function on the interval [0,∞) with a negative slope, this function is strictly decreasing on [0,∞).

Show g is not strictly decreasing on ℝ

Suppose g is strictly decreasing on ℝ
    Then g(.5) > g(0)→ -2 > 0
    This is not true, so it cannot be decreasing at this portion of the range.
    Hence, g is not strictly decreasing on ℝ.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Is the function g or f?
    I think this is what you meant to say:
    What's this about the image being between -1 and 0? For example, let x = -1/2 and y = -1/3. Then 1/x = -2 and 1/y = -3.

Since x < y, and both numbers are negative, then 1/x > 1/y, so g is decreasing. I think this is all you need to say.

4. Mar 14, 2012 #3
    Yes, I meant how you corrected it. Sorry about that!

Other than the first part, the rest looks good?

5. Mar 14, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I didn't look at anything very closely after the comments I inserted earlier. Here's the rest of your proof.
    Don't say "it follows that f(x) > f(y) because ..." Just show it like I did in my earlier post. What you have above, IMO, is more wordy than it should be, and less mathematical than it should be.

Also, since you are presumably in a calculus class (you posted this in the Calculus & Beyond section), you can show that g'(x) < 0 for all x in (-∞, 0), and there's a connection between that fact and whether a function is increasing or decreasing.
    g(.5) = -.5, not -2. On the interval you chose -- [0, .5] -- g is in fact decreasing, so this does not further your argument. If you haven't sketched a graph of the function, you should do so, and this will help you understand why this function isn't decreasing on R even though it is decreasing on each half of its domain.

6. Mar 15, 2012 #5
    g(.5) was a typo. I meant g(-.5) since when x < 0, g(x) = 1/x and that is why I said -2. That should show why it is not decreasing on all of R since -2 < 0.

Thank you for the suggestions! I will revise my proof.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook