1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a limit exists using differentiability

1. Feb 11, 2016 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume f:(a,b)→ℝ is differentiable on (a,b) and that |f'(x)| < 1 for all x in (a,b). Let an
    be a sequence in (a,b) so that an→a. Show that the limit as n goes to infinity of f(an) exists.
    2. Relevant equations
    We've learned about the mean value theorem, and all of that fun stuff.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know where to start so I brainstormed a couple of things I noticed

I know that since |f'(x)| is always less than one, any sequence of points will be bounded. Since they are bounded they are cauchy.
    I also know that
    ## lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x+h) - f(x)}{h} ## exists for all x. I assume this should also mean that ## lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{f(a_n)-f(a)}{a_n - a} ## exists. I think with these two facts I can construct a proof but I don't know if either of the two are correct

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint:

Take two element of the sequence, ##a_n## and ##a_m##, and apply the mean value theorem for these two values.
    That should give you an interesting upper bound for ## |f(a_n)-f(a_m)|##.

It is not true that a bounded sequence is Cauchy.
    But, a convergent sequence is a Cauchy sequence, and in ℝ a Cauchy sequence has a limit. This, together with the upper bound for ## |f(a_n)-f(a_m)|## should lead to a solution.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  4. Feb 11, 2016 #3

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

Ok so applying the mean value theorem, there is an x in (am,an) so that ## \frac{f(a_m) - f(a_n)}{a_m - a_n} = f'(x) ## taking the absolute value of both sides, ## |f(a_m) - f(a_n)| < |a_m - a_n| ##. Since an is convergent, |am - an| is always less than some epsilon greater than zero (because it is a convergent sequence in R and therefore Cauchy), and so |f(am) - f(an)| is also always less than that epsilon. This is the definition of a cauchy sequence, so the sequence f(an) must have a limit.

Is this the right path?

5. Feb 11, 2016 #4

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes.
    Essentially you have that ##(f(a_n))_n## is a Cauchy sequence, therefore convergent.

Maybe a remark: where you say "is always less than some epsilon", you should add "for n and m sufficiently large". But that is probably what you implicitely meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted