1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing a sequence is monotonically increasing

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that if ##0<c<1## then llim##c^{\frac{1}{n}}=1## using the monotone convergence theorem.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I let ##c_n=c^{\frac{1}{n}}## and it follows since ##0<c<1 \implies 0<c^{\frac{1}{n}}<1## Thus ##c_n## is bounded above by 1. Now I want to show that ##c_n## is monotonically increasing by induction but im not sure how to do it. So for my base case I know I need to show ##c_1<c_2## And for my inductive case I suppose that ##c_k<c_{k+1}## and show ##c_{k+1}<c_{k+2}## which is what im stuck on.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you need induction at all. Just look at ##\frac{c_{k+1}}{c_k}##. Is it greater than 1 or less than 1?

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    Well ##\frac{c_{k+1}}{c_{k}}≥ 1##. But I'm not sure how to show that. I know that ##c_k=c^\frac{1}{k}\implies \frac{1}{c_k}=\frac{1}{c^\frac{1}{n}}≥1##. Then im not sure from here.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. Oct 30, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's ##\frac{c^{1/(k+1)}}{c^{1/k}}##. Use the laws of exponents and combine them.

6. Oct 30, 2013 #5
    I see ##\frac{c_{k+1}}{c_{k}}=\frac{c^\frac{1}{k+1}}{c^\frac{1}{k}}=c^{\frac{1}{k+1}-\frac{1}{k}}=c^\frac{-1}{k(k+1)}## But since ##c<1## it follows ##\frac{1}{c^\frac{1}{k(k+1)}}>1##. Thanks I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted