1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing functions form a basis

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the functions po(t)=1, p1(t)=t, p2(t)=1/2(3t2-1), and p3(t)=(3/2)*[(5/3)t3-t) also form a basis for the vector space P3(R) ... "R" meaning all real numbers

2. Relevant equations

I know these polynomials are the first four Legendre polynomials

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that proving functions form a basis involves proving that each funciton has a unique representation as a linear combination... I'm not certain on what this means exactly but I'm trying my best to figure it out... heres my work so far on the problem

a(1) + b(t) + c/2(3t2-1) + d/2(5t3-3t) = a + bt + ct2 + dt3

at t=0 ; -c/2 = 0 ; so c=0

a + b(t) + d/2(5t3-3t)=0
    at t=0 ; a=0
    at t=1 ; b=-d
    at t=2 ; -2d + d/2(34) = 15d = 0 ; d=0 ; b=0

so the legendre polynomials are a linearly independent set at; 1/2 + t - 3/2t + 3/2t2 +5/3t3 = 1/2-1/2t+3/2t2+5/3t3
    ; a polynomial in the span of P(R) that forms a basis

thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer me :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

To show linear independence, you want to set the righthand side to zero and show that requires a=b=c=d=0.

You also need to show the four polynomials span P3(R). This time, you want the righthand side to be an arbitrary 3rd-degree polynomial -- so don't use a, b, c, and d that appear on the lefthand side on the righthand side -- and show you can solve for a, b, c, and d.

4. Jan 28, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so you want to show a+b*t+c*t^2+d*t^3 has a unique representation of the form A*p0(t)+B*p1(t)+C*p2(t)+D*p3(t). That means you just want to find A, B, C, and D in terms of a, b, c and d, right? You really don't have to put t values in. You know a+b*t+c*t^2+d*t^3=a'+b'*t+c'*t^2+d'*t^3 only if a=a', b=b', c=c' and d=d', yes? So just start at the top. What is the relation between d and D?

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4
    is it D = dt2/[(5/2)t2-(3/2)]

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nooo. D is supposed to be constant. Expand the Legendre side and equate the cubic terms.

7. Jan 29, 2010 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since [itex]\{ 1, x, x^2\}[/itex] form a basis for P3, you know that it has dimension 3. That, in turn, tells you that any independent set of three functions will be a basis. After you have shown that the given functions are independent, you don't have to show that they span the space.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  8. Jan 29, 2010 #7
    ooo alright, thanks for all the helpful explanations =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook