1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Showing light to be a particle question

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    my son is going in to 6th grade and will be doing a science project at some point in the year. he has decided to do it on the duality of light. he already has his double slit experiment set up .. i am wondering if there is some other experiment he can add to show light as a particle so he can have them side by side?

any help would be appreciated.. last year he wrote a thesis for english class on the possibility of using a mountain sized black hole as a power source via hawking radiation.. he's very smart and i want to keep encouraging him and sharing in his interests

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2
    he can do some 'photo electric effect' experiments in which bundles of photons hit a photosensitive material and can get some electrons out from it by sharing photon's energy and can check Einstein's photoelectric equations ,which shows light to be quantum particle called photons- to make it interesting he can use this effect to make Burgaler's alarm.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

A camera sensor works because light comes in photons. He could do something related to that perhaps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted