Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Showing light to be a particle question

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    my son is going in to 6th grade and will be doing a science project at some point in the year. he has decided to do it on the duality of light. he already has his double slit experiment set up .. i am wondering if there is some other experiment he can add to show light as a particle so he can have them side by side?

any help would be appreciated.. last year he wrote a thesis for english class on the possibility of using a mountain sized black hole as a power source via hawking radiation.. he's very smart and i want to keep encouraging him and sharing in his interests

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2016 #2
    he can do some 'photo electric effect' experiments in which bundles of photons hit a photosensitive material and can get some electrons out from it by sharing photon's energy and can check Einstein's photoelectric equations ,which shows light to be quantum particle called photons- to make it interesting he can use this effect to make Burgaler's alarm.

4. Jun 27, 2016 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

A camera sensor works because light comes in photons. He could do something related to that perhaps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted