Showing one positive and two neg roots

This can also be verified by using Descartes's rule of signs. So, in summary, by observing the maxima and minima of the function and drawing the graph, we can see that the equation x^3-12x-7.2=0 has one positive and two negative roots.
synkk
Show that the equation x^3-12x-7.2=0 has one positive and two negative roots:

I know this can be solved by trial and error, and finding f(0),f(1-4),f(-1 - -4) I have shown that It has two negative roots and one positive however I'm wondering if there is another method on how to show it has two negative and one positive root? I've found the max and min points but I am not sure what to do from there...

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiating the function, you get

[tex]f'(x) = 3x^2 - 12[/tex]

From this you can observe that the maxima is at -2, and minima is at +2. The function is also continuous. Drawing a rough graph out, you can easily see the type of roots.

synkk said:
Show that the equation x^3-12x-7.2=0 has one positive and two negative roots:

I know this can be solved by trial and error, and finding f(0),f(1-4),f(-1 - -4) I have shown that It has two negative roots and one positive however I'm wondering if there is another method on how to show it has two negative and one positive root? I've found the max and min points but I am not sure what to do from there...

thanks
It's a polynomial of odd degree, so we know there is at least one real root.

Descartes's rule of signs could help. It will tell you there is one positive root and perhaps two negative roots.

Can you use the intermediate value theorem?

f(0) is negative. f(10) is positive so by the IVT there is a root somewhere in between...

Infinitum said:
Differentiating the function, you get

[tex]f'(x) = 3x^2 - 12[/tex]

From this you can observe that the maxima is at -2, and minima is at +2. The function is also continuous. Drawing a rough graph out, you can easily see the type of roots.

How can you easily see it? I've drawn a sketch and I've seen the real sketch on wolframalpha but I can't see how its two negative and one positive.

synkk said:
How can you easily see it? I've drawn a sketch and I've seen the real sketch on wolframalpha but I can't see how its two negative and one positive.

Well, to draw the graph you would see how the function goes at x = +/- infinity.

[tex]\lim_{x\to \infty} f(x) = \infty[/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x\to -\infty} f(x) = -\infty[/tex]

Now, you also know the value of f(0). And you can calculate approximate values(you only need signs) of maxima and minima. Maxima comes out to be positive and minima is negative. Now try completing the graph??

synkk said:

The points on the graph where f(x) intersects x-axis are the roots of the equation.
If you carefully look at the graph, you will see that the graph the negative x-axis at two points and the positive x-axis at one point, hence there are two negative and one positive root.

1. What does "showing one positive and two neg roots" mean?

Showing one positive and two neg roots refers to the process of solving a quadratic equation, where the equation has two solutions (or roots) that are real numbers. One of the solutions will be a positive number, while the other two solutions will be negative numbers.

2. How do you find the roots of a quadratic equation?

The roots of a quadratic equation can be found by using the quadratic formula, which is (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0. The values of a, b, and c can then be substituted into the formula to find the roots.

3. Why are there sometimes two negative roots for a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation can have two negative roots if the discriminant (b^2 - 4ac) is positive. This means that the equation has two distinct real roots, one of which is positive and the other two are negative.

4. Can a quadratic equation have only one positive root?

Yes, a quadratic equation can have only one positive root if the discriminant is equal to zero. This means that the equation has only one real root, which is also the only positive root.

5. How can I check my answer when showing one positive and two neg roots?

You can check your answer by substituting the values of the roots into the original quadratic equation and solving for x. If the equation is satisfied, then the roots are correct. Additionally, you can also plot the equation on a graphing calculator and see if the points of intersection with the x-axis match the calculated roots.