Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Showing that a factor group is abelian

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    This problem is from Seth Warner's Modern Algebra; problem number 12.21 (so Google can find it.) It's actually in the free preview, find it http://books.google.com/books?id=jd... Algebra "12.21"&pg=PA90#v=onepage&q&f=false"

1. The problem is stated as:

If h is an endomorphism of a group G such that [tex]\kappa[/tex]a [tex]\circ[/tex] h = h [tex]\circ[/tex] [tex]\kappa[/tex]a for every a [tex]\in[/tex] G, then the set H = {x[tex]\in[/tex]G : h(x) = h(h(x))} is a normal subgroup of G, and G/H is an abelian group.​

2. [tex]\kappa[/tex]a is the inner automorphism defined by a, and is defined as

[tex]\kappa[/tex]a(x) = a[tex]\Delta[/tex]x[tex]\Delta[/tex]a*​

where [tex]\Delta[/tex] is the group's binary operator and a* is the inverse of a.

We are also given a theorem that states that G/H is abelian iff [tex]x\Delta y\Delta x*[/tex][tex]\Delta y* \in H \forall x, y \in G [/tex] (which I also had to prove, but I'll spare you.)

3. Now, I managed to prove that H is a subgroup and that H is normal. I am at a loss, however, as to how to prove that G/H is abelian. I understand that I'm supposed to show that x[tex]\Delta[/tex]y[tex]\Delta[/tex]x*[tex]\Delta[/tex]y* [tex]\in[/tex] H [tex]\forall[/tex] x,y , but I can only see a way to do that if either x or y is in H, for example:

if x is in H, then

x[tex]\Delta[/tex]H = H​
    and since y[tex]\Delta[/tex]H[tex]\Delta[/tex]y* = H [tex]\forall[/tex] y because H is normal,

x[tex]\Delta[/tex](y[tex]\Delta[/tex]H[tex]\Delta[/tex]y*) = H​
    which contains x[tex]\Delta[/tex]y[tex]\Delta[/tex]x*[tex]\Delta[/tex]y* because H contains x*.

but the challenge is to show that this is true [tex]\forall[/tex] x,y[tex]\in[/tex]G

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2
    First of all, Seth Warner should be beaten with a rubber hose for inflicting this notation on you. The operation in a group should be written [tex]xy[/tex], not [tex]x\triangle y[/tex], and the inversion is [tex]x^{-1}[/tex], not [tex]x^*[/tex]. (Unless the group is abelian and written in additive notation, in which case it's [tex]x + y[/tex] and [tex]-x[/tex], respectively.) Incidentally, the triangle symbol is \triangle, not \Delta which is a Greek letter.

Now that I've got that off my chest ... You need to show that [tex]xyx^{-1}y^{-1} \in H[/tex] for every [tex]x, y \in G[/tex]. The condition for [tex]z \in H[/tex] is that [tex]h(h(z)) = h(z)[/tex]. Why not just play around with [tex]h(h(xyx^{-1}y^{-1}))[/tex] and see what happens? The condition [tex]\kappa_a \circ h = h \circ \kappa_a[/tex] for every [tex]a \in G[/tex] gives you some clever tricks to manipulate this with; if you don't see how, write out the equation [tex](\kappa_a \circ h)(z) = (h \circ \kappa_a)(z)[/tex] for a given [tex]z\in G[/tex].

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks! That and h(xy) = h(x)h(y) did the trick.

(And yeah, the book's notation is weird. It seems that it starts using more conventional notation more often eventually, though.)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook