Showing that a map from factor group to another set bijective

In summary, we are trying to show that the map defined by f: G/H \rightarrow X where f(gH) = gx is well defined, one to one, and onto. We first show that it is well defined by proving that if g1 H = g2 H, then g1 x = g2 x. Next, we show that it is one to one by proving that if g1 x = g2 x, then g1 H = g2 H. Finally, we show that it is onto by starting with an arbitrary y in X and showing that there exists gH in G/H that maps to it. This is possible because G is transitive. Therefore, f is a well defined, one to one
demonelite123
Let G have a transitive left action on a set X and set [itex] H = G_x [/itex] to be the stabilizer of any point x. Show that the map defined by [itex] f: G/H \rightarrow X [/itex] where f(gH) = gx is well defined, one to one, and onto.

i think i know how to show well defined. letting g1 H = g2 H, if i multiply on the right both sides with x, then since H is the stabilizer of x, Hx = x so i get g1 x = g2 x which is what i wanted. i am having some trouble though on showing that this function is one to one and onto most likely because i am still getting acquainted with the ideas of factor groups and cosets.

So for one to one i want to show that if g1 x = g2 x then g1 H = g2 H. what i did was [itex] x = g_1^{-1}g_2 x [/itex] which implies that [itex] g_1^{-1}g_2 \in H [/itex] and this shows [itex] g_1 H = g_2 H [/itex].

For onto i tried saying that given any gx in X, you can then find gH in G/H which maps to it. but I'm not sure if this is valid or not. when proving onto do i need to start with an arbitrary x in X? or do i start with some gx in X?

Physics news on Phys.org
demonelite123 said:
Let G have a transitive left action on a set X and set [itex] H = G_x [/itex] to be the stabilizer of any point x. Show that the map defined by [itex] f: G/H \rightarrow X [/itex] where f(gH) = gx is well defined, one to one, and onto.

i think i know how to show well defined. letting g1 H = g2 H, if i multiply on the right both sides with x, then since H is the stabilizer of x, Hx = x so i get g1 x = g2 x which is what i wanted. i am having some trouble though on showing that this function is one to one and onto most likely because i am still getting acquainted with the ideas of factor groups and cosets.

[itex]g_1 H = g_2 H \implies g_2^{-1}g_1 H = H \implies g_2^{-1}g_1 \in H \implies g_2^{-1}g_1 \cdot x=x \implies g_1 \cdot x = g_2 \cdot x \implies f(g_1 H) = f(g_2 H)[/itex].

So for one to one i want to show that if g1 x = g2 x then g1 H = g2 H. what i did was [itex] x = g_1^{-1}g_2 x [/itex] which implies that [itex] g_1^{-1}g_2 \in H [/itex] and this shows [itex] g_1 H = g_2 H [/itex].

This is OK.

For onto i tried saying that given any gx in X, you can then find gH in G/H which maps to it. but I'm not sure if this is valid or not. when proving onto do i need to start with an arbitrary x in X? or do i start with some gx in X?

You need to start with an arbitrary [itex]y[/itex] in [itex]X[/itex]. Since [itex]G[/itex] is transitive there exist [itex]g\in G[/itex] such that [itex]g \cdot x = y[/itex]. So [itex]y = f(gH)[/itex] i.e. [itex]f[/itex] is onto.

thanks for clearing that up for me! and sorry for the late reply.

1. How do you prove that a map from a factor group to another set is bijective?

To prove that a map is bijective, you must show that it is both injective and surjective. This means that the map must be one-to-one (injective), meaning that each element in the factor group maps to a unique element in the other set, and it must be onto (surjective), meaning that every element in the other set has at least one element in the factor group that maps to it.

2. What is the purpose of showing that a map from a factor group to another set is bijective?

The purpose of showing that a map is bijective is to establish a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the factor group and the elements of the other set. This allows for a clear understanding of the relationship between the two sets and can be useful in solving mathematical problems involving these sets.

3. What are some common techniques used to show bijectivity of a map?

Some common techniques used to show bijectivity of a map include using the definition of injectivity and surjectivity, proving that the map is both injective and surjective separately, and using the inverse function theorem.

4. Can a map be bijective if it is not both injective and surjective?

No, a map cannot be bijective if it is not both injective and surjective. This is because a bijective map must have a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two sets, and if it is not both injective and surjective, then this correspondence does not exist.

5. Why is it important to understand the bijectivity of a map from a factor group to another set?

Understanding the bijectivity of a map is important because it allows for a clear understanding of the relationship between the two sets. This can be useful in solving mathematical problems involving these sets, and can also provide insight into the structure of the sets and their elements.