Showing that every element in G can be written a certain way

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Element
In summary: You have the identity ##\sigma^2=1##, you have the definition of an automorphism, you have the definition of a homomorphism and you have the definition of a group. Combine them in any meaningful way and you might see the solution.
Mr Davis 97
Let G be a finite group which possesses an automorphism ##\sigma## that has no nontrivial fixed points and ##\sigma ^2## is the identity map. Prove that ##G## is abelian.

So there's a hint, and it tells me first to established that every element in ##G## can be written as ##x^{-1} \sigma (x)## for some ##x \in G##. I have two questions. Why does showing that ##f(x) x^{-1} \sigma (x)## is injective prove the hint, and how could I ever approach this problem without knowing the hint?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##f\, : \,x \mapsto x^{-1}\sigma(x)## is injective, then it is also surjective, because ##G## is finite, hence every element can uniquely be written in this form. For injectivity use the fact, that ##\sigma ## has only one fixed point.

How to find the trick is a difficult question. It's usually a mixture of experience, practice, fantasy, and sometimes methodology. I like to say: first list all what is given. Also a backwards approach can help: Write down the statement which has to be proven and see if there are sufficient conditions, from which it will follow. Then try to prove such a condition. This method is often the first step in very complex proofs.

For the above we had used that ##\sigma ## is a homomorphism, has only ##e## as fixed point, and that ##G## is finite. So somehow we need to use the fact, that ##\sigma^2= 1##. This means ##\sigma = \sigma^{-1}## so inverses might play a role. From your own experience you already know, that inversion together with automorphism implies commutativity, so to consider elements ##x^{-1}\sigma (x)## isn't far fetched. This is only one way, but to gather all given facts in the first place is always a good start. Unfortunately a rarely used habit, if I think about all the empty places under section 2 of our homework template. In real life one probably tries a lot of ideas and among the scribbling will turn up the solution. The expressions which can help aren't too many in this example.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How do you show that every element in G can be written a certain way?

To show that every element in G can be written a certain way, we use a method called "group presentation". This involves writing each element as a combination of other elements in the group using a set of specific operations.

2. What are the specific operations used in group presentation?

The specific operations used in group presentation are typically multiplication and inversion. Multiplication involves combining two elements to create a new element, while inversion involves finding the inverse of an element, which when combined with the original element results in the identity element.

3. How can you prove that every element in G can be written a certain way using group presentation?

To prove that every element in G can be written a certain way using group presentation, we must show that every element in the group can be expressed as a combination of the given generators and their inverses. This can be done through a series of mathematical equations and proofs.

4. Can every element in G be written in more than one way using group presentation?

No, every element in G can only be written in one specific way using group presentation. This is because each element has a unique combination of generators and their inverses that result in that specific element.

5. Are there any limitations to using group presentation to show that every element in G can be written a certain way?

Yes, there are some limitations to using group presentation. In some cases, it may be difficult or even impossible to find a suitable set of generators and their inverses to represent all elements in the group. Additionally, there may be instances where multiple elements have the same combination of generators and cannot be distinguished using group presentation.