1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing the derivative of a vector is orthogonal to the vector

1. Aug 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://i.imgur.com/6j8W6.jpg
    I'm trying to understand that example in the text. I can imagine a curve on a sphere having the derivative vector being orthogonal to the position vector. What I don't understand is, how does "if a curve lies on a sphere with center the origin" mean the same thing as "if |r(t)|=c (constant)"?

2. Relevant equations
    The problem is I don't understand why the statement says "Show that if |r(t)|=c ..."
    Doesn't the example mean that every derivative vector of a curve is orthogonal to the position vector since |r(t)|=c for all t as long as the curve is continuous? (thinking it in terms of sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2))
    When is |r(t)| not equal to a constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2011 #2
    If |r(t)| is a constant, then you are essentially talking about a radius. Think about what the definition of |r(t)| is (it looks like you have an idea in the relevant equations section). If it is not equal to a constant, then the position vector and the derivative are not necessarily orthogonal. It is easy to find an example of this (for example, r(t) = <t,t>).

4. Aug 23, 2011 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't quite get your question. |r(t)|=c means the position r(t) is at a constant distance of c from the origin at all times. If it's always at a distance of c from the origin, then it lies on a sphere of radius c around the origin. For a general curve, the distance from the origin will vary with time.

5. Aug 23, 2011 #4
    How is |r(t)| not equal to a constant for r(t)=<t,t>?

Thanks for replying!

6. Aug 23, 2011 #5
    Ohh, I get it now. I wasn't thinking of it the way you have it in the bold.

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook