Showing $XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$ with a Homogeneous Polynomial

In summary, the conversation discusses a particular case of Leibniz's identity involving a homogeneous polynomial of degree $n$. The participants discuss how to prove this identity using a specific polynomial and its derivatives. They also mention that this identity holds for all homogeneous polynomials over any field where $n$ is not a divisor of the characteristic of the field. Finally, they discuss how this identity is also known as Euler's formula, but it may have originally been proved by Leibniz.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

Let $F(X,Y,Z) \in \mathbb{C}[X,Y,Z]$ a homogeneous polynomial of degree $n$. Could you give me a hint how we could show the following? (Thinking)

$$XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi evinda,

This is a particular case of Leibniz's identity.

Call $F=\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^{k}\lambda_{j}X^{e_{x,j}}Y^{e_{y,j}}Z^{e_{z,j}}$ where $e_{x,j}+e_{y,j}+e_{z,j}=n$ for all $j$.

Then $F_{X}=\displaystyle\sum_{j=0, \ e_{x,j}\geq 1}^{k}e_{x,j}\lambda_{j}X^{e_{x,j}-1}Y^{e_{y,j}}Z^{e_{z,j}}$

And so for $Y, Z$, now it's just a computation.

Actually, in this way you can prove that this kind of equality holds for every homogeneus polynomial (no matter how many variables) over any field $K$ while $n$ is not a divisor of $ch(K)$

Fallen Angel said:
Hi evinda,

Call $F=\displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^{k}\lambda_{j}X^{e_{x,j}}Y^{e_{y,j}}Z^{e_{z,j}}$ where $e_{x,j}+e_{y,j}+e_{z,j}=n$ for all $j$.

Then $F_{X}=\displaystyle\sum_{j=0, \ e_{x,j}\geq 1}^{k}e_{x,j}\lambda_{j}X^{e_{x,j}-1}Y^{e_{y,j}}Z^{e_{z,j}}$

Actually, in this way you can prove that this kind of equality holds for every homogeneus polynomial (no matter how many variables) over any field $K$ while $n$ is not a divisor of $ch(K)$

This is the original exercise:

If $F(x,y,z) \in \mathbb{C}[x,y,z]$ is a homogeneous polynomial of degree $n$, prove the Euler's formula.

$$XF_X+YF_Y+ZF_Z=nF$$

Is the last equality Euler's formula? (Thinking)

Fallen Angel said:
Hi evinda,

Could we also take this polynomial: $F(X,Y,Z)=\sum_{i+j+k=n} a_{ijk} X^i Y^j Z^k$ ? (Thinking)

Could you explain me why we choose such a polynomial, that there is for example no constant term? (Thinking)

Hi evinda,

Both polynomials (yours and mine) are the same with different notation.

We choose such a polynomial because we want a homogeneus one of degree $n$.And this is more known as Euler's formula, but once a professors told me that it was originally proved by Leibniz, I haven't really found reliable information about this but I trust in my professor.

Related to Showing $XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$ with a Homogeneous Polynomial

1. What is the definition of a homogeneous polynomial?

A homogeneous polynomial is a polynomial whose terms all have the same total degree. This means that each term is made up of variables raised to the same power.

2. How do you show that $XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$ is a homogeneous polynomial?

To show that this equation is a homogeneous polynomial, we need to check that all the terms have the same total degree. In this case, we can see that each term has a degree of 1 (since X, Y, and Z are each raised to the first power). Therefore, this equation is a homogeneous polynomial.

3. What is the significance of $XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$ being a homogeneous polynomial?

The fact that this equation is a homogeneous polynomial means that it has a special property called "homogeneity". This means that if we scale all the variables (X, Y, and Z) by a constant factor, the whole equation will scale by that same factor. This property is useful in many areas of mathematics and physics.

4. How can we prove that $XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$ is a homogeneous polynomial for any n?

We can prove that this equation is a homogeneous polynomial for any n by showing that it satisfies the definition of a homogeneous polynomial (all terms have the same total degree). This can be done by expanding the equation and checking that all the terms have a degree of 1.

5. Can you give an example of how $XF_{X}+YF_{Y}+ZF_{Z}=nF$ with a homogeneous polynomial is used in real-world applications?

One example of how this equation with a homogeneous polynomial is used in real-world applications is in physics, specifically in the study of electromagnetic fields. The equation is known as the Helmholtz equation and is used to describe the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a medium. Its homogeneity property allows us to scale the variables (electric and magnetic field strengths) to better understand the behavior of the waves.