1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SI units for Heat transfer equation

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to get the units to match up on both sides. [tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \frac{\nabla ^{2} T}{k} = \frac{1}{K}(\frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial y^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 T}{\partial z^2}})[/tex], where k is the thermal resistivity.

3. The attempt at a solution
    By searching all over the web, I've found that thermal resistivity "k" has units of [tex]\frac{Kelvins}{W}[/tex].

Therefore,

[tex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t} = \frac{Kelvins}{s} \neq (\frac{W}{Kelvins})*(\frac{Kelvins}{m^2})[/tex]. Could someone help me correct the units.

Thanks,

JL

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3
    Oh I see it now, but what about the unit for seconds "s"?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  5. Jul 9, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Jul 9, 2009 #5
    Are you sure? I mean the units do infact check out if you are correct- but according to my class notes they've referred it to thermal resistivity.

Thanks a lot.

JL

7. Jul 9, 2009 #6

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't matter if I'm sure. :smile: Check the literature; ask your teacher for a reference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?