Sign of Acceleration of dropped tennis ball at the floor

In summary: So, the acceleration due to the floor is always positive, but it can have a sign (it can be either positive or negative).
Lechiam

Homework Statement

You drop a tennis ball on a hard floor, and it bounces upward. If the x-axis is directed upward, what is the sign of the acceleration while the ball is in contact with the floor?

Homework Equations

a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the acceleration when the ball hits the floor would be 0 because the ball's speed is 0 at that point in time, and because there was no acceleration at that point then there would be no sign for it. The correct answer is that the acceleration is positive. As a side note, I believe the ball does not have a direction when it is in contact with the ground (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Physics news on Phys.org
A ball can have 0 speed and a non-zero acceleration. In fact, it has to in order to go from a stopped position (floor) to a velocity that is not zero(upward)

rpthomps said:
A ball can have 0 speed and a non-zero acceleration. In fact, it has to in order to go from a stopped position (floor) to a velocity that is not zero(upward)
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks a lot!

And it does have a direction.

There is a small flaw in the question. From the instant the ball touches the floor, the acceleration will continue to be downwards until the point at which the compressive force in the ball matches the ball's weight. Similarly, after rebounding to the same point, the acceleration will again be downwards.

Likes Vibhor and CWatters
Lechiam said:
I thought that the acceleration when the ball hits the floor would be 0 because the ball's speed is 0 at that point in time, and because there was no acceleration at that point then there would be no sign for it. The correct answer is that the acceleration is positive. As a side note, I believe the ball does not have a direction when it is in contact with the ground (please correct me if I'm wrong).
Remember that acceleration is proportional to force (F=ma). So, if the ball has a net force on it then it must be accelerating.

When the ball is in contact with the ground it has two forces on it: the force of gravity pulling it down and the force of the floor pushing it upwards. To make the ball bounce upwards off the ground, the upwards force must be, on average, greater than the force of gravity. So, there is a net upwards force during the bounce, and therefore a net upwards acceleration.

A slight complication: the magnitude of the force on the ball due to the floor actually varies during the time the ball is in contact with the floor, but it is always directed upwards (it's a normal force).

What is the sign of acceleration of a dropped tennis ball at the floor?

The sign of acceleration of a dropped tennis ball at the floor is negative. This means that the ball is accelerating downwards towards the floor.

What factors determine the acceleration of a dropped tennis ball at the floor?

The acceleration of a dropped tennis ball at the floor is primarily determined by the force of gravity and air resistance. The mass and shape of the ball can also play a role in its acceleration.

How does the height from which the tennis ball is dropped affect its acceleration at the floor?

The height from which the tennis ball is dropped does not affect its acceleration at the floor. The acceleration of the ball is solely determined by the force of gravity and air resistance.

Why does a dropped tennis ball accelerate towards the floor?

A dropped tennis ball accelerates towards the floor due to the force of gravity. Gravity pulls objects towards the center of the Earth, causing them to accelerate downwards.

Can the acceleration of a dropped tennis ball at the floor ever be positive?

No, the acceleration of a dropped tennis ball at the floor can never be positive. This is because gravity always acts in a downwards direction, causing the ball to accelerate towards the floor.