1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign problem in laplace transform

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \int vdu=uv-\int udv [/tex]
    [itex] v=cos(t) , dv=-sin(t)dt [/itex], [itex] du=e^{-st} , u=\frac{-e^{-st}} {s}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt = \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) -\int (-)\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}(-)sin(t)dt [/tex]
    the right side becomes:
    [tex] \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) - \frac{1}{s} \int e^{-st}sin(t)dt [/tex]
    for the second integral on the right:[itex] v=sin(t) , dv=cos(t)dt [/itex] and [itex] du=e^{-st} , u=\frac{-e^{-st}} {s} [/itex]
    [tex] \int e^{-st}sin(t)dt =- \frac{1}{s}e^{-st}sin(t)dt - \int \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) [/tex]
    now [tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt = \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) - \frac {1}{s} \left[ - \frac{1}{s}e^{-st}sin(t) + \int \frac{e^{-st}}{s}cos(t)dt \right] [/tex]
    thus
    [tex] \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) + \frac {1}{s^2}e^{-st}sin(t) - \frac {1}{s^2} \int e^{-st}cos(t)dt [/tex]
    simplifying
    [tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt \frac {s^2 +1} {s^2}= \frac {1}{s^2}e^{-st}sin(t) - \frac{e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) [/tex]
    going on :
    [tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt = \frac {s^2}{s^2 +1} \left[ \frac {1}{s^2}e^{-st}sin(t) - \frac{e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) \right] [/tex]
    the right side is:
    [tex] = \frac {1}{s^2 +1}e^{-st}sin(t) + \frac{e^{-st}}{s^2+1}scos(t) [/tex]
    now when i evaluate the limits:
    [tex] =(0-0) - ( \frac{e^{-s\pi/2}}{s^2+1} - 0 ) [/tex]
    [tex] =- \frac{e^{-s\pi/2}}{s^2+1} [/tex]
    im sure this is wrong because of the sign (its supposed to be positive now where did i drop the sign? can u help? this was the function whose transform i was looking for
    [tex]
    f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }0\leq x\leq \pi/2 \\
    cos(t), & \mbox{ if } x>\pi/2 \end{array}\right.
    [/tex]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I get the same thing you got. Why would you think the answer should be positive? cos(t) is negative for pi/2<t<3pi/2. If you were trying to transform that step function f(x), where did the cos(t) come from?

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3
    well typo on my part , let me edit it,

5. Sep 17, 2009 #4
    Here's the culprit :
    [tex] L \left\{ U_{a}(t) f(t-a) \right\} = e^{-as} F(s) [/tex]
    which implies my result might be wrong

6. Sep 17, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That formula would be helpful for integrating cos(t-pi/2)*exp(-ts) from pi/2 to infinity. But that's not the same as your problem.

7. Sep 17, 2009 #6
    So the answers for them would be different?

8. Sep 17, 2009 #7
    So the answers for them would be different? As an aside how would you determine [tex]L(t^2u(t-1))[/tex] with the hint to write [tex]t^2u(t-1) [/tex] in the form f(t-a)u(t-a)

9. Sep 17, 2009 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure the answers to cos(t)e^(-st) and cos(t-pi/2)*e^(-st) integrated from pi/2 to infinity are different. If you want t^2 to be f(t-1) then I guess f(t) would have to be (t+1)^2, right?

10. Sep 17, 2009 #9
    Thats sensible thanks,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook