Sign problem in laplace transform

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the integral of cos(t)e^(-st) from pi/2 to infinity, using the formula L{U_a(t)f(t-a)} = e^(-as)F(s). The resulting solution is -e^(-s*pi/2)/(s^2+1). The conversation also briefly mentions finding the integral of cos(t-pi/2)e^(-st) from pi/2 to infinity, which would result in a different solution. The conversation ends with a question about finding the Laplace transform of t^2u(t-1) using the hint to write it in the form f(t-a)u(t-a).
Mechdude

Homework Statement

[tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt [/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex] \int vdu=uv-\int udv [/tex]
[itex] v=cos(t) , dv=-sin(t)dt [/itex], [itex] du=e^{-st} , u=\frac{-e^{-st}} {s}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt = \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) -\int (-)\frac{-e^{-st}}{s}(-)sin(t)dt [/tex]
the right side becomes:
[tex] \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) - \frac{1}{s} \int e^{-st}sin(t)dt [/tex]
for the second integral on the right:[itex] v=sin(t) , dv=cos(t)dt [/itex] and [itex] du=e^{-st} , u=\frac{-e^{-st}} {s} [/itex]
[tex] \int e^{-st}sin(t)dt =- \frac{1}{s}e^{-st}sin(t)dt - \int \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) [/tex]
now [tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt = \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) - \frac {1}{s} \left[ - \frac{1}{s}e^{-st}sin(t) + \int \frac{e^{-st}}{s}cos(t)dt \right] [/tex]
thus
[tex] \frac{-e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) + \frac {1}{s^2}e^{-st}sin(t) - \frac {1}{s^2} \int e^{-st}cos(t)dt [/tex]
simplifying
[tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt \frac {s^2 +1} {s^2}= \frac {1}{s^2}e^{-st}sin(t) - \frac{e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) [/tex]
going on :
[tex] \int_{\pi/2}^{\infty}cos(t)e^{-st}dt = \frac {s^2}{s^2 +1} \left[ \frac {1}{s^2}e^{-st}sin(t) - \frac{e^{-st}}{s}cos(t) \right] [/tex]
the right side is:
[tex] = \frac {1}{s^2 +1}e^{-st}sin(t) + \frac{e^{-st}}{s^2+1}scos(t) [/tex]
now when i evaluate the limits:
[tex] =(0-0) - ( \frac{e^{-s\pi/2}}{s^2+1} - 0 ) [/tex]
[tex] =- \frac{e^{-s\pi/2}}{s^2+1} [/tex]
im sure this is wrong because of the sign (its supposed to be positive now where did i drop the sign? can u help? this was the function whose transform i was looking for
[tex]
f(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }0\leq x\leq \pi/2 \\
cos(t), & \mbox{ if } x>\pi/2 \end{array}\right.
[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same thing you got. Why would you think the answer should be positive? cos(t) is negative for pi/2<t<3pi/2. If you were trying to transform that step function f(x), where did the cos(t) come from?

Dick said:
, where did the cos(t) come from?

well typo on my part , let me edit it,

Here's the culprit :
[tex] L \left\{ U_{a}(t) f(t-a) \right\} = e^{-as} F(s) [/tex]
which implies my result might be wrong

Mechdude said:
Here's the culprit :
[tex] L \left\{ U_{a}(t) f(t-a) \right\} = e^{-as} F(s) [/tex]
which implies my result might be wrong

That formula would be helpful for integrating cos(t-pi/2)*exp(-ts) from pi/2 to infinity. But that's not the same as your problem.

So the answers for them would be different?

So the answers for them would be different? As an aside how would you determine [tex]L(t^2u(t-1))[/tex] with the hint to write [tex]t^2u(t-1) [/tex] in the form f(t-a)u(t-a)

Mechdude said:
So the answers for them would be different? As an aside how would you determine [tex]L(t^2u(t-1))[/tex] with the hint to write [tex]t^2u(t-1) [/tex] in the form f(t-a)u(t-a)

Sure the answers to cos(t)e^(-st) and cos(t-pi/2)*e^(-st) integrated from pi/2 to infinity are different. If you want t^2 to be f(t-1) then I guess f(t) would have to be (t+1)^2, right?

Thats sensible thanks,

1. What is the sign problem in Laplace transform?

The sign problem in Laplace transform refers to the issue of determining the appropriate sign to use in the exponential function when taking the inverse Laplace transform. This can occur when the function being transformed has complex roots, resulting in ambiguous signs.

2. How does the sign problem affect the accuracy of the Laplace transform?

The sign problem can significantly impact the accuracy of the Laplace transform. If the incorrect sign is chosen, the resulting inverse transform will be incorrect and may not represent the original function accurately.

3. What are some strategies for dealing with the sign problem in Laplace transform?

One strategy is to use partial fraction decomposition to break down the function into simpler terms, making it easier to determine the correct sign for each component. Another approach is to use the convolution theorem, which allows for the transformation of functions without using the sign function.

4. Can the sign problem be completely eliminated in Laplace transform?

The sign problem cannot be completely eliminated, as it is inherent to the nature of the inverse Laplace transform. However, by using appropriate strategies and techniques, its impact on the accuracy of the transform can be minimized.

5. How is the sign problem relevant in practical applications of Laplace transform?

The sign problem can be relevant in practical applications of Laplace transform, as it can affect the accuracy of the results. Therefore, it is important for scientists and engineers to be aware of this issue and use appropriate techniques to mitigate its impact.