Signals and Systems coursework help

In summary, the power for a signal with a frequency of 100 Hz and a phase angle of 0 degrees is 75 watts.
Kbob08

Homework Statement

Detmerine the Power and rms value for each of the following signals:

a)5 + 10cos(100t+pi/3)

... more signals

The Attempt at a Solution

It's hard to right out integral signs or I don't know the way to do so I'll use I(lower bound, upper bound) to denote an integral

a)P= lim t->inf. (1/T) [I(-T/2,T/2) [5 + 10cos(100t+pi/3)^2dt]

=lim t->inf. (1/T) [25T + I(-T/2,T/2) 100 cos^2(100t+pi/3)dt + I(-T/2,T/2)50cos(100t + pi/3)dt->0

= lim t->inf. (1/T) [25T + 50T {I(-T/2,T/2)cos(200t+2pi/3)dt}->0

= 25 +50 = 75, Rms 75^ (-1/2)

does it look like I'm following the right idea?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Kbob08. To learn how to insert math symbols in your posts, check out the LaTex tutorial here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=151

And on your question, what is the function you've written? Is is a voltage waveform? You can certainly calculate the RMS value if it is a voltage, but you need to know something about the current or load impedance to get a power out of it...

Usually in signal books they don't denote any units for these types of problems. Otherwise you would have to do an additional step to make sure the units are matched.

Corneo said:
Usually in signal books they don't denote any units for these types of problems. Otherwise you would have to do an additional step to make sure the units are matched.

Well, IMO checking units is important. It sure is important in the real world. So you just assume that the function shows is a voltage waveform into 50 Ohms?

berkeman said:
Well, IMO checking units is important. It sure is important in the real world. So you just assume that the function shows is a voltage waveform into 50 Ohms?

Yes I agree your right that checking units is important. I was just commenting that most textbook problems leave out units of the function in question. The meat of the problem for this specific exercise is just performing the integration.

To the OP: You have the right idea and your work is correct. It may help to remember for signals in the form

[tex]C \cos (\omega_0 t + \theta)[/tex], the power is [tex]P_g = C^2/2[/tex]. You can prove this yourself pretty straight forward by performing the same integration you have done and using some trig substitution. Notice that the result depends solely on the amplitude and nothing else.

1. What are Signals and Systems?

Signals and Systems is a branch of electrical engineering and applied mathematics that deals with analyzing and processing signals, which are mathematical representations of physical quantities such as sound, images, and data. It involves understanding how signals are generated, transmitted, and manipulated in various systems.

2. What topics are typically covered in Signals and Systems coursework?

The topics covered in Signals and Systems coursework may vary depending on the specific course or institution, but some common topics include signal representation, convolution, Fourier series and transform, sampling, and system analysis and design.

3. What are some applications of Signals and Systems?

Signals and Systems has a wide range of applications in various fields such as telecommunications, medical imaging, control systems, and digital signal processing. It is essential in the design and analysis of systems that process and transmit information.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Signals and Systems concepts?

To improve your understanding of Signals and Systems, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to gain a better grasp of the concepts.

5. Are there any resources available for Signals and Systems coursework help?

Yes, there are many resources available for Signals and Systems coursework help. These include textbooks, online tutorials and videos, practice problems, and study groups. Additionally, professors and teaching assistants are also valuable resources for clarifying any doubts or questions you may have about the coursework.