Silicone sealant for medical device

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of silicone sealants for medical applications and the need for biocompatibility. The person asking the question is unsure about the suitability of regular silicone sealants and is considering using acetoxy and elastomer sealants. They are advised to consult with the manufacturers for more information.
asherraph
i want to ask...is it any type of silicone sealant is suitable for medical application??

i need to find the sealant that are biocompatibility for pvc tubing and dialysate with body temperature.

how about acetoxy and elastomer is it suitable??

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer to your question but I ask you this: do you have reason to believe that regular old hardware store silicone sealant will not be suitable for your application?

asherraph said:
i want to ask...is it any type of silicone sealant is suitable for medical application??

i need to find the sealant that are biocompatibility for pvc tubing and dialysate with body temperature.

how about acetoxy and elastomer is it suitable??
Why in the world are you asking this question on the Internet? If you are working with medical devices that interface directly with bodily fluids and patients, surely there are regulations for what kinds of materials can be used. Doesn't your company have people who know this information?

Likes NTL2009
phinds said:
I don't know the answer to your question but I ask you this: do you have reason to believe that regular old hardware store silicone sealant will not be suitable for your application?
i do believe regular silicone is suitable for medical application and i found the silicone sealant but there is no certificated or verification to medical standard testing.

there are two type silicone sealant that i found which acetoxy and elastomer.

berkeman said:
Why in the world are you asking this question on the Internet? If you are working with medical devices that interface directly with bodily fluids and patients, surely there are regulations for what kinds of materials can be used. Doesn't your company have people who know this information?

i m still new to this material and chemical. i do more work on electronics and 3d modelling part. my boss just ask me to find out the silicone sealant that have verification on medical standard even we know that silicone is biocompatiblity.

i do found acetoxy and elastomer and i know both are silicone. what make different between both of this??

asherraph said:
i m still new to this material and chemical. i do more work on electronics and 3d modelling part. my boss just ask me to find out the silicone sealant that have verification on medical standard even we know that silicone is biocompatiblity.

i do found acetoxy and elastomer and i know both are silicone. what make different between both of this??
I suggest you call the manufacturer's representative for the companies that make these sealants. They should be able to give you knowledgeable advice. Thread is closed.

Likes NTL2009

1. What is silicone sealant and how is it used in medical devices?

Silicone sealant is a type of adhesive material that is commonly used in medical devices. It is a flexible and durable substance that is able to create a strong bond between two surfaces, making it ideal for use in medical devices that require a tight seal. It is often used to seal and protect components of medical devices such as catheters, pacemakers, and prosthetics.

2. Is silicone sealant safe for use in medical devices?

Yes, silicone sealant is generally considered safe for use in medical devices. It is biocompatible, meaning it does not cause harm or irritation when it comes into contact with living tissues. However, it is important to note that not all silicone sealants are created equal and it is important to choose a medical-grade sealant that meets the necessary safety and regulatory standards.

3. How is the effectiveness of silicone sealant in medical devices tested?

The effectiveness of silicone sealant in medical devices is tested through various assessments, such as biocompatibility testing, sterility testing, and mechanical testing. Biocompatibility testing ensures that the sealant does not cause any adverse reactions when in contact with living tissues. Sterility testing ensures that the sealant is free from harmful bacteria or contaminants. Mechanical testing evaluates the strength and durability of the sealant in various conditions.

4. Can silicone sealant be used in all types of medical devices?

No, silicone sealant may not be suitable for use in all types of medical devices. Some medical devices, such as those used in high-temperature or high-pressure environments, may require a different type of sealant. It is important to consult with a medical device expert to determine the best type of sealant for a specific device.

5. How is silicone sealant applied in medical devices?

Silicone sealant is usually applied in a controlled and sterile environment. It is typically dispensed using specialized equipment and then cured through a chemical or heat process. The exact application process may vary depending on the specific type of silicone sealant and the medical device it is being used for.