Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Silicone sealant for medical device

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    i want to ask....is it any type of silicone sealant is suitable for medical application??

i need to find the sealant that are biocompatibility for pvc tubing and dialysate with body temperature.

how about acetoxy and elastomer is it suitable??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know the answer to your question but I ask you this: do you have reason to believe that regular old hardware store silicone sealant will not be suitable for your application?

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Why in the world are you asking this question on the Internet? If you are working with medical devices that interface directly with bodily fluids and patients, surely there are regulations for what kinds of materials can be used. Doesn't your company have people who know this information?

5. Mar 13, 2017 #4
    i do believe regular silicone is suitable for medical application and i found the silicone sealant but there is no certificated or verification to medical standard testing.

there are two type silicone sealant that i found which acetoxy and elastomer.

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5
    i m still new to this material and chemical. i do more work on electronics and 3d modelling part. my boss just ask me to find out the silicone sealant that have verification on medical standard even we know that silicone is biocompatiblity.

i do found acetoxy and elastomer and i know both are silicone. what make different between both of this??

7. Mar 14, 2017 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I suggest you call the manufacturer's representative for the companies that make these sealants. They should be able to give you knowledgeable advice. Thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook