1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple angular momentum problem. QM

1. Nov 15, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that Lx is a Hermitian operator

2. Relevant equations

Well, since Lx is an observable it must be represented by an Hermitian operator.

[tex] L = -i\cdot\hbar\cdotr\times\nabla [/tex]

If an operator is Hermitian, then it's equal to it's Hermitian conjugate

3. The attempt at a solution

I do realise what I have to do, however there are holes in my math.

So in order to show that the Lx operator is Hermitian I could show that:

[tex] < L_{x} f | f > = < f | L_{x} f > [/tex] is that correct?

If I assume that's correct and since [tex] < L_{x} f | f > = (< f | L_{x} f >)^* [/tex] I have a complex conjugate missing somewhere. Thus there is an error

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2008 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have a conjugate missing, the identity on the last line is true.
    The point is that, by definition of Hermitian conjugate, if you want,
    [tex]\langle f \mid L_x f \rangle = \langle L_x^\dagger f \mid f \rangle[/tex]
    so if you show that it's also [itex]\langle L_x f \mid f \rangle[/itex] then effectively you are showing that [itex]L_x^\dagger = L_x[/itex].

4. Nov 15, 2008 #3
    Thanks. That I understand but I probably don't understand something else or I don't really understand either, anyway to be more specific here is what I mean

[tex] \langle f \mid L_{x} f \rangle [/tex] which is

<f|-ih(y*d/dz - z*d/dy)f>. (I am sorry, Latex doesn't show up for this one. I guess I typed it wrong)

now if [tex] L_{x} [/tex] is Hermitian then as far as I can understand the above expression must be equal to

[tex] \langle L_{x} f \mid f \rangle [/tex] which is [tex] \langle f \mid L_{x}f \rangle^* [/tex]

and here is my problem, I get that [tex] \langle L_{x} f \mid f \rangle [/tex] is equal to [tex] \langle f \mid L_{x} f \rangle [/tex] conjugated and because of the i in the [tex] L_{x} [/tex] expression the two don't really match, do they? :confused: What am I missing?

Just to be absolutely clear I don't like the fact that [tex]
    \langle L_{x} f \mid f \rangle [/tex] is <-ih(y*d/dz - z*d/dy)f|f> doesn't seem to match with <f|-ih(y*d/dz - z*d/dy)f>

5. Nov 16, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you can give a proof of this since the L_x operator is = y*p_z - z*p_y

now you proove that x_ip_j is hermitian. i.e show that

[tex] \int ( x_i\hat{p}_j \phi)^*\psi d^3r = \int \phi ^*x_i\hat{p}_j\psi d^3r [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?