Simple beginning physics, mindfart

In summary, the problem involves 2 blocks suspended on a table with a central block connected by pulleys. The masses are 4kg, 2kg, and 6kg from left to right, with a friction coefficient of 0.12 on the middle block. The task is to find the acceleration. The solution involves drawing free-body diagrams for each object and considering the different tensions in the ropes on opposite sides of the middle block. The tension can be used to solve for forces in the x-axis and ultimately find the acceleration.
Jake4

Homework Statement

2 blocks are suspended on the sides of a table, over pulleys, connected to a central block on the table. From the left to the right, the masses are 4kg, 2kg and 6kg. There is a friction coefficient of 0.12 on the middle block. Find the acceleration.

Homework Equations

F=ma, of course

The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason, I'm having trouble with the center block. I have drawn free-body diagrams for each object, and at the center, I'm having trouble with determining the x-axis forces.

I have marked friction in the opposite direction of the acceleration, but can't seem to figure out how to factor in Tension, as there should be tension on both sides of the object.

This, I know is a very simple thing, but for some strange reason, I'm hung up on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your equations. Do not forget that there are different tensions in the ropes at the opposite sides of the middle block.

ehild

In a single massless string, tension is same. Use it to get forces in x axis

Related to Simple beginning physics, mindfart

1. What is the difference between velocity and speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that takes into consideration the speed and direction of an object's motion. Speed, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only measures the rate of an object's motion.

2. How does Newton's first law of motion apply to everyday life?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force. This can be seen in everyday life when objects at rest, such as a book on a table, will remain at rest until a force, like a push or pull, is applied to it.

3. Can you explain the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, but weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

4. How do forces affect the motion of an object?

Forces can cause an object to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction. The magnitude and direction of the force determine the resulting motion of the object. The net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion.

5. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or configuration in a system. Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. As an object moves, potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, and vice versa.