1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple gravitational force problem (Gregory Classical Mechanics)

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is question 3.7 from Gregory's Classical Mechanics textbook.

A symmetric sphere of radius a and mass M has its center a distance b from an infinite plane containing a uniform distribution of mass ## \sigma ## per unit area. Find the gravitational force exerted on the sphere

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

From what I understand, a solid sphere can be represented as if it were a single particle of mass M concentrated at its center of mass, call this point ##S##. So, the way I approached the problem was summing (integrating) up the forces exerted on this point by each infinitesimally small area ##dxdy## on the plane.

The mass of each infinitesimal on the plane is ##m = \sigma dA##. I also let ##\theta## represent the angle between SB (where B is the straight line distance from the point S) and the line drawn from S to the infinitesimal. Then, the equation I got was:

## F = MG \int _A \sigma \cos (\theta) / R^2 dA ##
    ## F = MG\sigma \int _A R\cos (\theta) / R^3 dA ##
    ## F= MG\sigma \int _A b/R^3 dA ##
    ## F = MGb\sigma \int _{-\infty}^\infty \int _{-\infty}^\infty 1/(x^2 + y^2 + b^2)^{3/2} dxdy ##

If anyone could let me know if I have set this up correctly (I get the feeling I have not), and how to approach this problem, I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2
    The reduction of the problem to that of a point mass is correct.

Then, as far as I can see, you integrate the parallel component of the force, ignoring the perpendicular component. I think you owe us an explanation here.

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    So from what I understand, if we drop a straight line from the center of the sphere S to where it meets the plane, say that point is O, we'll have a line SO perpendicular to the plane of length ##b##. Then if we drop another straight line from S to a particular point on the plane, say X, then SOX becomes a right triangle where the angle created by the lines SO and SX is ##\theta##. Also:

##|SO| = b##
    ##|OX| = R \sin(\theta)##
    ##|SX| = R##

Then, I supposed by symmetry, that all the component forces by each point ##X## in the plane will sum up to a single perpendicular force pointing in the direction of ##SO##. So, if each point ##X## attracts S in its direction with a force of magnitude

## F' = m(\sigma dA)G/R^2 ##

Then its force in the direction of SO ought to be ##F = F'\cos (\theta)##. That's how I derived my integral in the form of

##F = mG \int _A \sigma \cos (\theta)/R^2 dA ##

Please help me understand where I've made my error! Thanks again!

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4
    There is no error in your derivation. It is entirely correct. You just need to finish integration.

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5
    Hmm, then maybe I am having trouble with simplifying the integral. What is the most efficient way to do it? What I thought to do is this:

##F = MG\sigma \int _A \cos (\theta) / R^2 dA ##
    ##F = MG\sigma \int _A R\cos (\theta) /R^3 dA ##
    ##F = MG\sigma \int _A b / R^3 dA##

After this, I assumed by the pythagorean theorem that ##R = \sqrt{ x^2 + y^2 + b^2 }##, but then I end up with what looks like a nasty integral:

##F = MG\sigma b \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} \int _{-\infty}^{\infty} 1/ (\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + b^2})^3 dxdy##

Is there another way to approach this, or am I simplifying the integral wrongly? Thanks!

7. Mar 3, 2013 #6
    Ah never mind, I've figured it out. The better way is to use polar coordinates for the area of the plane. The integral simplifies to

## F = MGb\sigma \int _{0}^{2\pi} \int _{0}^{\infty} r/(r^2+b^2)^{3/2}drd\phi ##

Thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted