1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Hamonic Motion(spring system)

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two blocks (m=1Kg, M=10Kg) and a spring (k=200N/m) are arranged on a horizontal frictionless surface. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is 0.40 (the small block sits atop the large block). What amplitude of simple harmonic motion of the spring-blocks system puts the smaller block on the verge of slipping over the large block?

2. Relevant equations

I can calculate angular frequency using [tex]w=\sqrt{k/m}[/tex]...not sure if this is helpful..and [tex]E=1/2kx_m^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The block will slip off when the acceleration of the system is a maximum, this happens at [tex]+/- x_m[/tex]..im not sure how to rlate the friction into the equation, help getting started would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2
    So you can solve what value of acceleration will cause the block's horizontal force to overcome static friction. You can then go back to the derivation of simple harmonic motion equations (i.e) mx''+kx=0, and figure out what the maximum initial displacement is.
  4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    Ok, so after finding Fmax and when calculating the accelration...do I use the mass of the system (11kg)?

and can I use (-w^2)x=a?
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?