Simple Harmonic Motion acceleration problem

In summary: Problem #3He continued to find "phi" or the phase offset. Here is what he did: arctan(Vi/WXi). This equation is right out of the book, and so far I have only seen it in this exact form. I understand how it was derived, but will it ever be needed in a different form? Yes, in 2 he uses the position equation -x(t)- to find the A and then uses the acceleration as function of time equation and sets the time to 0 and the A to what he finds from the x(t) equation.
NutriGrainKiller
This is a problem right out of the book. My professor worked it out in class but now that I look over it I'm not sure why he chose the method he did. This is the problem exactly as it is stated in the book:
The point of the needeld of a sewing machine moves in simple harmonic motion along the x-axis with a frequency of 2.5Hz. At t=0 its position and velocity components are +1.1cm and -15cm/s.
a) Find the acceleration component of the needle at t=0
b) Write equations giving the position, velocity, and acceleration components of the point as a function of time
From this I was able to derive several other components that will be very helpful for solving this problem. Here are the givens:

f=2.5Hz
T=.4sec
w=15.71rad/sec

Problem #1
Now, I get confused in several places. First, my professor states that as a given Xi=+1.1cm and Vi=-15cm/s. Can someone explain to me [in words] how he took the position at t=0 and assumed them values of Xi and Vi?
Problem #2
We were given these three formulas:
{keep in mind 'o' is phase offset or "phi"}
x(t) = A*Cos(wt+o)
v(t)=A*w*Sin(wt+o)
a(t)=A*w^2*Cos(wt+o)

Now from this my professor said this: a = -w^2*X => ai = -w^2*Xi -this ends up being -2.71 m/s^2
Problem #3
He continued to find "phi" or the phase offset. Here is what he did: arctan(Vi/WXi). This equation is right out of the book, and so far I have only seen it in this exact form. I understand how it was derived, but will it ever be needed in a different form?
Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Xi and Vi are just the initial positions and velocities, initial would be at time t=0.
In 2 I think that he used the position equation -x(t)- to find the A and then used the acceleration as function of time equation and set the time to 0 and the A to what he found from the x(t) equation.

NutriGrainKiller said:
Problem #1
Now, I get confused in several places. First, my professor states that as a given Xi=+1.1cm and Vi=-15cm/s. Can someone explain to me [in words] how he took the position at t=0 and assumed them values of Xi and Vi?
The rotating object was just caught at these specific conditions with the stopwatch. That is when the stopwatch was started the object were at this position with this velocity. Remember that the object is oscillating to and fro along the x-axis.

Last edited:
daniel_i_l said:
Xi and Vi are just the initial positions and velocities, initial would be at time t=0.
In 2 I think that he used the position equation -x(t)- to find the A and then used the acceleration as function of time equation and set the time to 0 and the A to what he found from the x(t) equation.

for the first one i misread the problem, turns out i was more tired than i thought last night heh.

my calculator currently is not working, it got very wet on the way to class..so I cannot solve these problems. but here is the work for the second one:

I took x(t) equation and plugged in the values and solved for A, which ended up being 1.1/Cos(15.71*.4). Let's assume this value is stored into 'A'

took the a(x) equation and solved: a(x)=A*16.71^2*Cos(15.71*.4)

is this right?

NutriGrainKiller said:
Problem #2
We were given these three formulas:
{keep in mind 'o' is phase offset or "phi"}
x(t) = A*Cos(wt+o)
v(t)=A*w*Sin(wt+o)
a(t)=A*w^2*Cos(wt+o)
The last two equations should both have a negative sign after the = symbol (the derivative of cos is -sin). If one sets the time t=0 in the first two one gets
[tex]x_i=A\cos(\phi)[/tex]
and
[tex]v_i=-A\omega\sin(\phi)[/tex]
by dividing the second equation by the first we arrive at
[tex]\phi=\arctan(\frac{-v_i}{x_i\omega})[/tex]
from which the phase offset can be calculated, which I do not get the same as you (15.71*.4). How did you arrive at these values? Is it in degrees or radians?

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which a mass or object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and frequency. It is characterized by a sinusoidal or wave-like motion.

How can I calculate the acceleration of an object in SHM?

The acceleration of an object in SHM can be calculated using the formula a = -ω²x, where a is the acceleration, ω is the angular frequency, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. Alternatively, you can also use the formula a = -k/m x, where k is the spring constant and m is the mass of the object.

What factors affect the acceleration in a SHM problem?

The acceleration in a SHM problem is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant, and the amplitude of the oscillation. The greater the mass and the smaller the spring constant, the lower the acceleration. Similarly, a larger amplitude results in a higher acceleration.

How does the acceleration change over time in SHM?

In SHM, the acceleration of the object changes direction at the equilibrium point and is constantly changing as the object moves back and forth. At the equilibrium point, the acceleration is zero, and it reaches its maximum value at the maximum displacement from the equilibrium point.

Can the acceleration in SHM ever be positive?

Yes, the acceleration in SHM can be positive when the object is moving away from the equilibrium point and negative when it is moving towards the equilibrium point. This corresponds to the object experiencing a restoring force from the spring and hence accelerating in the opposite direction to its displacement.