1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion and angular frequency

1. Aug 31, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone new here and hope i have put this in the right place?
    If anyone could help me with this question i would be very grateful.
    The value w(angular frequancy) is introduced into the analysis of simple harmonic motion
    A) Because the unit of hz is not a convenient unit for frequancy
    B) to create a mathmatical relationship between displacement and time
    C)to create a link between mass and frequancy of vibration
    D) because vibration is naturally circular
    I need to select the correct answers from these?

I have looked around sites and read books but with no explanation as to specifically why w (angular frequancy) is used in simple harmonic motion

As stated thank you for looking in advance and any help is much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2009 #2
    Hi again
    I have now got it down to b or d
    I think d is correct as vibration is naturally circular as w = 2pi/f and d is also used in circular motion to find angular speed so that kind of supports d as well?
    But still not sure about b
    Any advice on this would be great and i appreciate it might be an easy question to some on here but it is a forum to ask for help so thought i would ask.
    Thanks

4. Aug 31, 2009 #3
    1. Simple harmonic oscillation is not the same as circular motion, even though it can be 'produced' by the projection of circular motion onto a plane.

2. What is angular frequency for a shm defined as?

5. Aug 31, 2009 #4
    Have looked all over for the definition of angular frequancy for a shm and can see that it is related to time and displacement.
    Also found this as well
    The rate of change of an angle per unit time. The standard units for angular frequency are radians/second. Angular frequency is typically denoted by ω, the Greek letter omega. Angular frequency is related to the frequency, f, by ω = 2πf
    I feel like i am going around in circles as well and getting no where fast.
    Thanks for the help fightfish in replying as well it is much appreciated
    Thanks everyone for looking

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook