Simple harmonic motion and angular frequency

In summary, the value of angular frequency (w) is used in the analysis of simple harmonic motion because it creates a mathematical relationship between displacement and time, and it also links mass and frequency of vibration. It is not the same as circular motion, but it can be produced by the projection of circular motion onto a plane. The standard units for angular frequency are radians/second and it is related to the frequency (f) by ω = 2πf.
ethascar
Hi everyone new here and hope i have put this in the right place?
If anyone could help me with this question i would be very grateful.
The value w(angular frequancy) is introduced into the analysis of simple harmonic motion
A) Because the unit of hz is not a convenient unit for frequancy
B) to create a mathmatical relationship between displacement and time
C)to create a link between mass and frequancy of vibration
D) because vibration is naturally circular
I need to select the correct answers from these?

I have looked around sites and read books but with no explanation as to specifically why w (angular frequancy) is used in simple harmonic motion

As stated thank you for looking in advance and any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi again
I have now got it down to b or d
I think d is correct as vibration is naturally circular as w = 2pi/f and d is also used in circular motion to find angular speed so that kind of supports d as well?
But still not sure about b
Any advice on this would be great and i appreciate it might be an easy question to some on here but it is a forum to ask for help so thought i would ask.
Thanks

1. Simple harmonic oscillation is not the same as circular motion, even though it can be 'produced' by the projection of circular motion onto a plane.

2. What is angular frequency for a shm defined as?

Have looked all over for the definition of angular frequancy for a shm and can see that it is related to time and displacement.
Also found this as well
The rate of change of an angle per unit time. The standard units for angular frequency are radians/second. Angular frequency is typically denoted by ω, the Greek letter omega. Angular frequency is related to the frequency, f, by ω = 2πf
I feel like i am going around in circles as well and getting no where fast.
Thanks for the help fightfish in replying as well it is much appreciated
Thanks everyone for looking

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point. This motion is characterized by a constant amplitude and frequency, and can be seen in many everyday phenomena, such as the swinging of a pendulum or the vibrations of a guitar string.

2. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different from other types of motion in that it is a type of periodic motion with a constant amplitude and frequency. Other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, do not have these characteristics.

3. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency, also known as angular velocity, is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or moves in a circular path. In simple harmonic motion, the angular frequency is equal to the frequency of the oscillation times 2π.

4. How is angular frequency related to simple harmonic motion?

Angular frequency is directly related to simple harmonic motion, as it determines the speed at which the object oscillates and the period of the motion. The higher the angular frequency, the faster the object will oscillate and the shorter the period will be.

5. What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a mass on a spring, the swinging of a pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a playground swing.