1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion block and spring

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block, attached to a spring, is set into vertical oscillation with an amplitude of 25.0 cm and a frequency of 5.00 Hz. At t = 0.00 s, the block is 14.0 cm below the equilibrium position and is moving upwards. Assume that the displacement from equilibrium is given by
    y = ym cos(ω t + φ ) , with y positive upwards.
    Calculate the phase angle, φ.
    (a) 5.31 rad
    (b) 0.976 rad
    (c) 4.12 rad
    (d) 2.17 rad
    (e) 1.87 rad

the answer is c....
    2. Relevant equations

ive been using the equation that was given to me in the question, using 0.14m as my y, 0.25m as my ym, 0 as my t therefore w isnt needed? and i have a frequency??? im lost....please help lol

i am arriving at (b).....if this helps at all

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

turin

Homework Helper

Did you use the fact that the block is moving upwards? Here's a hint: what is the numerical difference between b and c? Does it look familiar?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    pi lol.....do i have to add pi? confusion

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

turin

Homework Helper

That was only a hint. Forget about [itex]\pi[/itex].

EDIT: Your y is wrong. Can you tell me why? (haha)

EDIT: EDIT: Wait a minute! THEIR y is wrong! Are you sure you copied every word of the problem correctly?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook