Simple harmonic motion block and spring

In summary, the conversation is discussing a block that is attached to a spring and oscillating with a 25.0 cm amplitude and a frequency of 5.00 Hz. The displacement from equilibrium is given by y = ym cos(ω t + φ), with y being positive upwards. The task is to calculate the phase angle, φ, given a specific set of options. After some attempts at solving the problem, the correct answer is determined to be option (c). However, there is confusion about whether or not to add pi to the solution and the accuracy of the given values in the problem.
banfill_89

Homework Statement

A block, attached to a spring, is set into vertical oscillation with an amplitude of 25.0 cm and a frequency of 5.00 Hz. At t = 0.00 s, the block is 14.0 cm below the equilibrium position and is moving upwards. Assume that the displacement from equilibrium is given by
y = ym cos(ω t + φ ) , with y positive upwards.
Calculate the phase angle, φ.
(a) 5.31 rad
(b) 0.976 rad
(c) 4.12 rad
(d) 2.17 rad
(e) 1.87 rad

the answer is c...

Homework Equations

ive been using the equation that was given to me in the question, using 0.14m as my y, 0.25m as my ym, 0 as my t therefore w isn't needed? and i have a frequency? I am lost...please help lol

i am arriving at (b)...if this helps at all

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use the fact that the block is moving upwards? Here's a hint: what is the numerical difference between b and c? Does it look familiar?

pi lol...do i have to add pi? confusion

banfill_89 said:
do i have to add pi?
That was only a hint. Forget about [itex]\pi[/itex].

EDIT: Your y is wrong. Can you tell me why? (haha)

EDIT: EDIT: Wait a minute! THEIR y is wrong! Are you sure you copied every word of the problem correctly?

Last edited:

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium position and is directed towards that position.

What is a block and spring system?

A block and spring system is a simple mechanical system in which a block is attached to a spring. When the block is displaced from its equilibrium position, the spring exerts a restoring force on the block, causing it to oscillate back and forth.

What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion in a block and spring system?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion in a block and spring system is affected by the mass of the block, the stiffness of the spring, and the amplitude (maximum displacement) of the motion.

What is the equation for calculating the period of simple harmonic motion in a block and spring system?

The period (T) of simple harmonic motion in a block and spring system can be calculated using the equation T=2π√(m/k), where m is the mass of the block and k is the spring constant.

How does damping affect simple harmonic motion in a block and spring system?

Damping, or the dissipation of energy, can affect the amplitude and frequency of simple harmonic motion in a block and spring system. It can cause the amplitude to decrease over time and can also slightly decrease the frequency of the motion.