Simple harmonic motion diff. equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass suspended from a spring with an initial velocity. The equations used to solve the problem are x(double prime)+9x=0 and x(t)=C1cos(3t)+C2sin(3t). The solution is then converted to the form x=Asin(wt+phi) and the derivative is taken to find the velocity. However, the cosine function yields multiple values, so it is suggested to solve for the first positive value of t where it holds.
Breedlove

Homework Statement

A mass of 1 slug is suspended from a spring whose spring constant is 9 lb/ft. The mass is initially released from a point 1 foot above the equilibrium position with an upward velocity of [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] ft/s. Find the times at which the mass is heading downward at a velocity of 3 ft/s.

Homework Equations

x(double prime) + k/m x=0
(k/m)^(1/2)=w

The Attempt at a Solution

So first, m=1, k=9 and the initial conditions: x(0)=-1 and x(prime)(0)=-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]
x(double prime)+9x=0 which has roots (plus or minus)3i. The solution then looks like

x(t)=C1cos(3t)+C2sin(3t) and then plugging in initial conditions I get C1=-1, C2=-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/3

Then converting it to another form where A=[tex]\sqrt{C1^2+C2^2}[/tex] and phi=arctan(C1/C2)
x=Asin(wt+phi)
x=2[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/3 sin(3t+4pi/3)
Taking the derivative to get the velocity:
x(prime)=6[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]cos(3t+4pi/3)
setting x(prime)=3 and solving for t yields a negative value for t, t=-.97

I know I didn't really show a lot of work in a form that is easy to read or understand, but where am I going wrong here? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Cosine function gets a given value in more than one point; maybe you should solve the first positive value of t where it holds.

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. This means that the object will oscillate back and forth around a central point.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is time, and φ is the phase constant. This equation describes the displacement of an object over time during simple harmonic motion.

3. How is simple harmonic motion different from other types of motion?

Simple harmonic motion is different because it is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Other types of motion may not have this proportional relationship or may not be periodic.

4. What is the differential equation for simple harmonic motion?

The differential equation for simple harmonic motion is d²x/dt² = -kx, where x is the displacement, t is time, and k is the spring constant. This equation describes the relationship between acceleration and displacement during simple harmonic motion.

5. How is the differential equation used to analyze simple harmonic motion?

The differential equation is used to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in simple harmonic motion at any given time. It can also be used to determine the period, frequency, and amplitude of the motion. Additionally, it can be used to predict the future behavior of the system.