1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple harmonic motion diff. equation

1. Nov 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A mass of 1 slug is suspended from a spring whose spring constant is 9 lb/ft. The mass is initially released from a point 1 foot above the equilibrium position with an upward velocity of [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] ft/s. Find the times at which the mass is heading downward at a velocity of 3 ft/s.

2. Relevant equations
    x(double prime) + k/m x=0
    (k/m)^(1/2)=w

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first, m=1, k=9 and the initial conditions: x(0)=-1 and x(prime)(0)=-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]
    x(double prime)+9x=0 which has roots (plus or minus)3i. The solution then looks like

x(t)=C1cos(3t)+C2sin(3t) and then plugging in initial conditions I get C1=-1, C2=-[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/3

Then converting it to another form where A=[tex]\sqrt{C1^2+C2^2}[/tex] and phi=arctan(C1/C2)
    x=Asin(wt+phi)
    x=2[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]/3 sin(3t+4pi/3)
    Taking the derivative to get the velocity:
    x(prime)=6[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]cos(3t+4pi/3)
    setting x(prime)=3 and solving for t yields a negative value for t, t=-.97

I know I didn't really show a lot of work in a form that is easy to read or understand, but where am I going wrong here? Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2
    Cosine function gets a given value in more than one point; maybe you should solve the first positive value of t where it holds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook