1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Undamped Harmonic Motion (ODE problem)

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 24-lb weight, attached to the end of a spring, stretches it 4 inches. Find the equation of motion if the weight is released from rest from a point 3 inches above the equilibrium position.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{d^{2}{x}}{dt^2}+\frac{k}{m}x=0[/tex]
    [tex]F=ma[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

First I found the spring constant k using [itex]F=ma=ks[/itex] at the point of equilibrium where the weight isn't moving. s is the displacement the weight causes on the spring, which is 4 inches, or 1/3 feet. So that equation turns out to be the weight equals the mass times the acceleration of gravity, which equals the spring constant times the displacement the weight caused, which is [itex]24=k(\frac{1}{3})[/itex].

I found mass, m, by using [itex]F=ma[/itex] which is [itex]24lb=m(32\frac{ft}{s^2})[/itex] which gives me [itex]\frac{3}{4} slug[/itex]

Putting that into my relevant equation at the top, it gives me [itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^2}+96x=0[/itex] And using that one method (I forgot the name), I get [itex]m^2+96=0[/itex] which gives me [itex]m=\pm\sqrt{96}i[/itex]

I use that for [itex]C_{1}cos\sqrt{96}t+c_{2}sin\sqrt{96}t[/itex]

Now I have to find initial conditions to solve for [itex]C_{1}[/itex] and [itex]C_{2}[/itex]

My initial position is [itex]\frac{1}{4}ft[/itex] above the equilibrium point, so does that mean I set that equation equal to [itex]-\frac{1}{4}[/itex] and then solve for when t = 0?

And to get the other one, do I need to find the equation for the velocity by deriving the position equation? I'm not sure what I would set that equation equal to.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, if x(t) is the position then you know x(0)=(-1/4) (if you want displacements above equilibrium to be negative). Since it's release "from rest" you also know velocity at t=0 is 0. So set x'(0)=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted