1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic motion of vertical spring.

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of unknown mass M is hung from a vertical spring of unknown spring constant k, and the object is observed to be at rest when the spring has extended by 14cm. The object is then given a slight push and executes SHM. Determine the period of this oscillation.

2. Relevant equations
    T = 1/f
    w = (k/M)^(1/2) = 2pi*f
    F=kx

3. The attempt at a solution
    The object is hanging, so it has a force of Mg pulling it down and kx pulling it up. It's in equilibrium at a displacement of 14cm (0.14m). So I set kx = Mg and solved for k:
    k = Mg / x

I then plugged this into w = (k/M)^(1/2) so the M's cancel and I'm left with w = (g/x)^(1/2) = (9.8 / 0.14)^(1/2) = 70rad/s

w = 2pi*f => f = w/(2pi) = 11.14 Hz
    T = 1/f = 0.089s

This isn't the right answer according to the book, and I keep getting this kind of problem wrong. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

3. The attempt at a solution

I then plugged this into w = (k/M)^(1/2) so the M's cancel and I'm left with w = (g/x)^(1/2) = (9.8 / 0.14)^(1/2) = 70rad/s

Check the above calculation

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Kizaru! :smile:

(have a square-root: √ and an omega: ω :wink:)
    Nooo … √70 :wink:

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    Ah yes, turns out my mistake was ignoring the square root. Thanks. I made that same mistake for all of these types of problems hehe, thanks :) Embarassing, guess I should check for elementary mistakes before I look for physics mistakes :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?