Simple Harmonic Motion Phase angle

In summary, the phase angle of a graph describing simple harmonic motion determines the times at which the oscillation reaches its maximum amplitude. By inspecting the graph, one can estimate the phase angle and use it to translate the graph accordingly. However, it is also possible to use the equation 510, as mentioned in previous discussions on Physics Forums.
Jimmy84

Homework Statement

What is the initial phase angle of this graph that describes a simple harmonic motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any clue about how to find it by watching the graph, I know only an equation to find it. Any help please.

Attachments

• qqqqq.png
    qqqqq.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy84 said:

Homework Statement

What is the phase angle of this graph that describes a simple harmonic motion?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any clue about how to find it by watching the graph, I know only an equation to find it. Any help please.

I did a quick google search for "phase angle of shm" and the first site offered gave a good lead ... equation 510.
Any of the other offereings may have been just as useful.
Many were to other questions about phase angle here on Physics Forums in fact.

PeterO said:
I did a quick google search for "phase angle of shm" and the first site offered gave a good lead ... equation 510.
Any of the other offereings may have been just as useful.
Many were to other questions about phase angle here on Physics Forums in fact.

Do you mean this http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node138.html ? I already read them but i just started reading the theory about Simple Harmonic Motion yesterday and I am a bit lost with it so is there any way to find the angle just by inspection of the graph? I didnt understand much of the previous posts about the subject on the forum

Jimmy84 said:
Do you mean this http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/301/lectures/node138.html ? I already read them but i just started reading the theory about Simple Harmonic Motion yesterday and I am a bit lost with it so is there any way to find the angle just by inspection of the graph? I didnt understand much of the previous posts about the subject on the forum

That's the one.

I was particularly taken by the sentence before equation :

"Finally, the phase angle phi determines the times at which the oscillation attains its maximum amplitude, x=a: in fact"

If the phase angle was zero, then maximum amplitude would be happening then - so the graph of displacement vs time must look like a Cosine gragh.

A phase angle will translate the graph. Your graph is certainly translated. can you see by how much?

I would recommend using the equation for simple harmonic motion, which is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. In this equation, the phase angle represents the initial position of the object at t = 0.

To find the initial phase angle, you can use the given graph to determine the amplitude and angular frequency. Once you have those values, you can plug them into the equation and solve for φ. Alternatively, you can also use the initial and final positions of the object to calculate the phase angle.

It is also important to note that the phase angle can vary depending on the starting point of the oscillation. If the object starts at its equilibrium position, the phase angle would be 0. However, if the object starts at its maximum displacement, the phase angle would be 90 degrees or π/2 radians.

In summary, to determine the initial phase angle of a simple harmonic motion graph, you can use the equation for SHM or use the initial and final positions of the object to calculate it.

1. What is simple harmonic motion phase angle?

Simple harmonic motion phase angle is the measure of the displacement of an object in simple harmonic motion at any given time, relative to its equilibrium position.

2. How is simple harmonic motion phase angle related to frequency?

The phase angle is directly proportional to the frequency of the oscillation. This means that as the frequency increases, the phase angle also increases.

3. Can the phase angle of simple harmonic motion be negative?

Yes, the phase angle can be negative if the object starts its motion from a position below the equilibrium point.

4. How does the phase angle affect the period of simple harmonic motion?

The phase angle does not affect the period of simple harmonic motion. The period is solely determined by the length of the pendulum or the mass and spring constant in other systems.

5. What is the maximum value of the phase angle in simple harmonic motion?

The maximum value of the phase angle is 90 degrees or π/2 radians. This occurs when the object is at its maximum displacement from the equilibrium point.