Simple Harmonic Motion - Potential and Kinetic Energy?

What you should have concluded is that you can't use the equation W=F x at all to find the value of k. That was the mistake you made. But I am glad you got the right answer.
meganw

Homework Statement

A 2.00 kg mass vibrates according to the equation x = 0.470 cos 8.36t, where x is in meters, and t is in seconds. Assume that x = 0.29 m.

(a) Determine the amplitude.
(b) Determine the frequency.
(c) Determine the total energy.

(d) Determine the kinetic energy.

e) Determine the potential energy.

I did the first two parts (a-b), but I'm stuck on c,d & e, the questions about the Energy of the spring.

Homework Equations

PE = .5kx^2

and

KE = .5KA^2

F/x=k

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried these 3 multiple times and I keep getting them wrong. One thing I'm not sure of, is is "x" the amplitude? I have been plugging in .29 for the "x" and .47 for the "A", but just curious if this is the reason I'm getting these wrong.

I would think, that according to these formulas, KE+PE=TOTAL ENERGY, and I thought I was doing them right. I'm at my wits end.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
meganw said:

Homework Equations

PE = .5kx^2
Good.

and

KE = .5KA^2
Not good. (This implies that the KE doesn't change!)

I've tried these 3 multiple times and I keep getting them wrong. One thing I'm not sure of, is is "x" the amplitude?
No. "x" is displacement from equilibrium.
I have been plugging in .29 for the "x" and .47 for the "A", but just curious if this is the reason I'm getting these wrong.
These are correct.

I would think, that according to these formulas, KE+PE=TOTAL ENERGY,
Absolutely. What's the total energy?

Hint: Since total energy doesn't change, pick the easiest position to calculate PE + KE.

K.E + P.E = total energy
[tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}kx^2=\frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex]
They usually give you that equation on formula sheets.

Does Ke=.5mv^2?

I don't know V, and I can't use w=v/r because I don't know R.

ALSO:

I tried to find Total Energy when PE is maxed out and v=0, but I got it wrong. I did

Total Energy=.5((9.8*2)/(.29))*(.29)^2
thats .5 * k * x^2

And Snazzy-I tried .5KA^2 as my total energy and got 2.986 and that's wrong...

The total energy is only given by [tex]\frac{1}{2}kx^2[/tex] only if [tex]x=A[/tex]

You find A by looking at the equation of the motion because SHM follows the equation:

[tex]x(t)=Acos(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

Then you can find the potential energy at x=0.29m and then the kinetic energy at that point since you now have the total energy and the potential energy.

But I can't find KE because I don't know V and I can't find v using W because I don't have R...

I TRIED TO FIND PE AND GOT IT WRONG:

F=kx

x=.29
F=9.8*2
k=67.5862

SO

PE=.5(67.5862)(.29^2)
=2.842

Thank you so much for your help on this!
wrong

Last edited:
You don't need V or R or whatever to find the kinetic energy. You can use the fact that KE + PE = total energy

Well, x is not equal to A. So I guess I can't use the fact that .5kA^2 is total, and I keep getting PE wrong. :(

You get PE wrong because your value of k is wrong. F = kx at equilibrium, but x=0.29 is not the distance the spring has stretched at its equilibrium state. They usually give you the equation:

[tex]\omega =\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]

And you CAN use the fact that [tex]\frac{1}{2}kA^2[/tex] is the total energy because A is GIVEN TO YOU IN THE EQUATION OF THE FUNCTION. The reason you got it wrong is because your value of k is wrong.

Last edited:
Okay, I tried it using x=.470 for my equation of the value of k, and I get k=41.7

but then I still get the wrong answer for PE...=1.753

I don't know why you're using the amplitude to find the value of k, use [tex]\omega[/tex] and the mass to find the value of k as shown in the equation above. The spring does not stretch to its amplitude at equilibrium, nor does it stretch to the value of x the question gives you.

I GOT THEM RIGHT! =)

Thanks, you were SO helpful! I didn't realize that you can't always use the equation of F=-kx to find k!

I'm really thankful and grateful that you stayed online and helped me through each step. Thanks again, you're a really good person. =)

meganw said:
I GOT THEM RIGHT! =)

Thanks, you were SO helpful! I didn't realize that you can't always use the equation of F=-kx to find k!

I'm really thankful and grateful that you stayed online and helped me through each step. Thanks again, you're a really good person. =)

You can always use F=-k x at two conditions: that the F you use is the force exerted by the spring and that the x you use is the displacement of the mass from the equilibrium position. I am not sure why you concluded that you can't always use that equation but I wanted to point that out.

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium, and the motion is sinusoidal in nature.

2. What is the equation for potential energy in SHM?

The equation for potential energy in SHM is given by U = ½kx², where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How does potential energy change in SHM?

Potential energy in SHM changes as the displacement from equilibrium changes. It is maximum at the extreme points of the motion and minimum at the equilibrium position.

4. What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy in SHM?

In SHM, potential energy and kinetic energy are constantly interchanged. When potential energy is at its maximum, kinetic energy is at its minimum and vice versa. At the equilibrium position, all energy is in the form of kinetic energy.

5. How does amplitude affect potential energy in SHM?

The amplitude of SHM directly affects the potential energy. As the amplitude increases, the potential energy also increases, and when the amplitude decreases, the potential energy decreases as well.