Simple Harmonic Motion Question

In summary, the particle undergoes a simple harmonic with a frequency of 5Hz and an amplitude of 10cm. At time t=0, the particle is at the equilibrium position (x=0). Calculate the position, velocity and acceleration of the particle at t=3.5m5 ms.
coffeem

Homework Statement

A particle undergoes simple harmonic with amplitude of 10cm and frequency 5Hz. If it passes through the equilibrium position (x=0) at time t = 0, calculate the position, velocity and acceleration of the particle at t = 3.5m5 ms.

The Attempt at a Solution

Given that:

A = 0.1m
f = 5Hz
therefroe w = 2pif = 10pi
phase difference = 0.

So using the standard: x = Acos(wt+PD)

where PD = phase difference.

I get x = 0.1m.
differentiating this I get:
v = -0.34 m/s
and again differentiating I get:
a = -98.0 m/s^2.

However these answers appear to be wrong. Any advice on where I am messing up?

Physics news on Phys.org
coffeem said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Given that:

A = 0.1m
f = 5Hz
therefroe w = 2pif = 10pi
phase difference = 0.

So using the standard: x = Acos(wt+PD)

where PD = phase difference.

I get x = 0.1m.
differentiating this I get:
v = -0.34 m/s
and again differentiating I get:
a = -98.0 m/s^2.

However these answers appear to be wrong. Any advice on where I am messing up?

Your attempt at getting 'A' and 'ω' are correct. But the particle starts at x=0, t=0. So your general equation should be sine and not cosine.

If it said x=A at t=0, then you'd use cosine.

coffeem said:

Homework Statement

A particle undergoes simple harmonic with amplitude of 10cm and frequency 5Hz. If it passes through the equilibrium position (x=0) at time t = 0, calculate the position, velocity and acceleration of the particle at t = 3.5m5 ms.

rock.freak667 said:
Your attempt at getting 'A' and 'ω' are correct. But the particle starts at x=0, t=0. So your general equation should be sine and not cosine.

If it said x=A at t=0, then you'd use cosine.

Thanks - that makes sense. I just read the position from the book without thinking...

So:

x = 0.1*sin(10pi*t)
v = 0.1*10pi*cos(10pi*t)
a = -0.1*100*pi^2*sin(10pi*t)

would that be correct? thanks

coffeem said:
Thanks - that makes sense. I just read the position from the book without thinking...

So:

x = 0.1*sin(10pi*t)
v = 0.1*10pi*cos(10pi*t)
a = -0.1*100*pi^2*sin(10pi*t)

would that be correct? thanks

Yes that should be correct now.

rock.freak667 said:
Yes that should be correct now.

Thank you very much - i appreciate the hepl.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. It is a common phenomenon in many natural and man-made systems, such as pendulums, springs, and waves.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for SHM is given by x = Acos(ωt+ϕ), where x is the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency (related to the frequency of oscillation), and ϕ is the phase constant (related to the starting position of the oscillation).

What is the relationship between frequency and period in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The frequency (f) of SHM is defined as the number of complete oscillations per unit time, while the period (T) is the time it takes for one complete oscillation. These two quantities are inversely related, meaning that as frequency increases, period decreases and vice versa. This relationship is given by f = 1/T.

What is the difference between Simple Harmonic Motion and Damped Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is characterized by a constant amplitude and frequency, while Damped Harmonic Motion involves a gradual decrease in amplitude over time due to the presence of damping forces (such as friction). This results in a decrease in frequency and a shorter period over time, until the object eventually comes to rest at the equilibrium point.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

In SHM, the total mechanical energy of the system (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This energy is constantly being exchanged between kinetic and potential energy as the object oscillates, resulting in a periodic motion. This is known as the conservation of energy in SHM.