1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Solving for the phase and applying it.

1. Apr 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am having a hard time solving this problem and this is my last chance to solve it before it is due and I have to do this for a test tomorrow.

A simple harmonic oscillator consists of a block of mass 3.90 kg attached to a spring of spring constant 330 N/m. When t = 0.570 s, the position and velocity of the block are x = 0.123 m and v = 3.510 m/s. (a) What is the amplitude of the oscillations? What were the (b) position and (c) velocity of the block at t = 0 s?

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/tex]
    [tex]x=x_{m}cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
    [tex]v=-\omega x_{m}cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay so I tried to solve for the phase constant by dividing the velocity function by the position function.

This gave me the result of [tex]\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{v}{x \omega})[/tex]

I plugged in [tex]\phi[/tex] to both the position functions and my answers are wrong. So I am not sure as to what I need to do or why.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your expression for v should be v=-ωxmsin(ωt+φ)

Also consider what v/x gives and then substitute the conditions to get φ.

4. Apr 8, 2010 #3
    Yes the formula for velocity was wrong. I divided the two which is how I got [tex]\phi[/tex] is inverse tangen times v divided by the quantity of position times the angular frequency. I must be doing something right because I am able to solve for the amplitude of the function, but I cannot get the position at t=0 and the velocity at t=0.

5. Apr 8, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Could you please post your work on how you found all of your answers?

6. Apr 8, 2010 #5
    [tex]x=x_{m}cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]
    [tex]v=-\omega x_{m}sin(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

So I divided these two functions which gave me the result of......

[tex]\omega t + \phi = tan^{-1}(\frac{v}{-x \omega})[/tex]

Since this is equal to all of the stuff in the position function and the velocity function I put it into the those functions after solving for the amplitude. This cannot lead to a correct answer because the velocity and position in the above mentioned expression are not at time = 0,

P.S. I solved for the amplitude by dividing x at t=.570s by the [tex]cos(\omega t + \phi)[/tex]

which came to...... approximately 0.400912 meters

7. Apr 8, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

What did you get for φ?

8. Apr 8, 2010 #7
    For [tex]\phi[/tex] I got approximately.... 0.240112 radians

9. Apr 8, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Recheck it, I get -1.25 radians.

10. Apr 8, 2010 #9
    Yes I get -1.25897 radians when I solve for [tex]\omega t + \phi[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook