1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Indicator Function and its Set

1. Jul 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is taken from Spivak's Calculus Book Chapter 3 - Functions, Problem 9.

Suppose ##f## is a function such that ##f(x)=1\text{ or }0## for each ##x##. Prove that there is a set ##A## such that ##f = C_A## ##C_A## is an indicator function, where ##C_A(x)=0## if ##x## is not in ##A##, and 1 if ##x## is in ##A##

2. Relevant equations

I've finished the previous sub-problem (a) in the same number.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't understand clearly what does the problem wants us to prove. Is it asking us whether a set exist like this for example ##A=\{x : f(x)=1 \text{ or } 0\}## exist? How then can we prove that it is true? What kind of condition is that? I mean how can we know what lies inside of a set, with only the property, that it has to lie inside the set. It's a bit confusing..

EDIT: Isn't it like hey I tell my friend to go to a market to buy something and put it in a bucket. So what do you want to buy then? He asked. I want to buy everything that is in that bucket.

Thank You

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, it wouldn't be ##A=\{x : f(x)=1 \text{ or } 0\}##. Are there any values of ##x## that are NOT in that set?

You want ##A## to be the set of points ##x## where ##f(x) = ##what value?

4. Jul 26, 2013 #3
    Ah I see, because it is a set of all real number ##x## that ##C_A## is referring to, then there's actually no real number which is not in the set. So ##f(x)## has to be 1. Is the reasoning right?

5. Jul 26, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, so write out the definition of ##A## and you're pretty much done. I'm not sure why Spivak is asking for a "proof" here as there isn't much to prove.

6. Jul 26, 2013 #5
    Ok sure I'll do so. On the other hand, will setting the condition of ##f(x)=0## create an empty set then?

Thanks for your help.

7. Jul 26, 2013 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, you are missing the whole point. You are told only that f(x) takes on values of 0 and 1. f(x) could be "f(x)= 0 if x is rational, 1 if x is irrational". In that case, A= {x| f(x)= 1} is the set of irrational numbers, B= {x| f(x)= 0} is the set of rational numbers.

Or you could have f(x) defined to be 0 for all x. In that case A would be empty.

8. Jul 26, 2013 #7
    Yes it is true, but then the question says such that ##f=C_A##. While ##C_A## clearly stipulates 1 for the set of real number ##A##.

9. Jul 26, 2013 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

Look at the question again:

This is asking you to prove that, for every [itex]f : \mathbb{R} \to \{0, 1\}[/itex], there exists a subset [itex]A \subset \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]f(x) = 1[/itex] if and only if [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]f(x) = 0[/itex] if and only if [itex]x \in \mathbb{R} \setminus A[/itex].

There's really only one choice for A. What is it?

10. Jul 26, 2013 #9
    ##A## should be the set of real number ##\mathbb{R}## and that ##f(x)=1## because of the fact that there is an element in the set? Is there anything else in it? I'm sorry if I miss the subtleties but the language of set is a bit beyond my level right now.

Edit: Or ##A## must contain all rational number instead?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  11. Jul 26, 2013 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A is NOT the set f all real numbers- it is the set of all numbers such that f(x)= 1.

12. Jul 26, 2013 #11
    Ok, so this function ##f(x)## so to say is general right? We don't decide for now what makes it 1? We just prepare a container for whatever might make it ##1## according to our own definition?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted