Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple integral, example or general solution correct?

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    This should be very simple, but I can find a simple example that violates my general conclusion. I clearly must be doing something wrong with my integration by parts. Any suggestions would be great.

Define a distribution such that the density;
    [tex]\eta(\vec{x})=\int d\vec{k} f(\vec{x},\vec{k})[/tex]
    which is a function ONLY of x.

Now, let me arbitrarily calculate
    [tex]\int d\vec{k} k_{x} f(\vec{x},\vec{k}) = \int dk_{x} k_{x} \int dk_{y} \int dk_{z} f(\vec{x},\vec{k})[/tex]

I should be able to integrate over kx by parts;
    [tex] k_{x} \int dk_{x} \int dk_{y} \int dk_{z} f(\vec{x},\vec{k}) - \int dk_{x} \frac{d k_{x}}{d k_{x}} \int dk_{x} \int dk_{y} \int dk_{z} f(\vec{x},\vec{k}) = k_{x} \int d\vec{k} f(\vec{x},\vec{k}) - \int dk_{x} \int d\vec{k} f(\vec{x},\vec{k})[/tex]

Using the stipulation at the beginning this is simply;
    [tex]k_{x} \eta(\vec{x}) - \int dk_{x} \eta(\vec{x})[/tex]

Since, the density, eta, is only a function of x, this is zero.

There must be something wrong with this because I can come up with a simple example that contradicts this;

Let
    [tex]f(\vec{x},\vec{k})=\eta(\vec{x})\delta (\vec{k}-\vec{k'})[/tex]
    It is easy to see that
    [tex]\eta(\vec{x})=\int d\vec{k} f(\vec{x},\vec{k})[/tex]

Now calculating the original quantity
    [tex]\int d\vec{k} k_{x} f(\vec{x},\vec{k}) = \int dk_{x} k_{x} \eta(\vec{x})\delta (k_{x}-k'_{x}) = \eta(\vec{x}) k'_{x}[/tex]

What gives? Where have I gone wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2
    Your integration by parts looks incorrect. The surface term should not contain an integral over k_x, since that is the integration variable for which you are doing the integration by parts. Also, you should get something involving the derivative of f with respect to k_x, in the next term, and there should not be two integrals over k_x there.

Sometimes it is also good to write out the limits of the integration domains.

Torquil

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    Well, I'm taking u as [tex]k_x[/tex] and v' as f in the standard notation
    [tex]\int u v' = u v| - \int u' v[/tex]
    therefore I will not have a derivative of f.

Not sure what you mean by surface term. I do realize this is an integral over three variables and I should use the divergence theorem in general. But since u is a function of one variable only, it should be seperable. The k space over which the integral exsists also shouldn't matter, but I will check again.

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

Mute

Homework Helper

You integration by parts is incorrect. To clear things up, let [itex]g(\mathbf{k}) = \int dk'_x~f(k_x',k_y,k_z)[/itex], where the k_x integral is done from some intial value (say -infinity) to an arbitrary k_x, so that the result is still a function of [itex]\mathbf{k}[/itex]. Now, let's do the integral by parts, supposing that the k integrals run from 0 to infinity.

[tex]\int dk_x k_x \int dk_y \int dk_z~f(\mathbf{k}) = \left. k_x \int dk_y \int dk_z g(\mathbf{k}) \right|^{k_x = \infty}_{k_x = -\infty} - \int dk_x \int dk_y \int dk_z~g(\mathbf{k}).[/tex]

Assuming the surface term (the first term on the right hand side) is zero at +/- infinity, this gives

[tex]\int dk_x k_x \int dk_y \int dk_z~f(\mathbf{k}) = - \int dk_x \int dk_y \int dk_z~g(\mathbf{k}).[/tex]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  6. Feb 4, 2010 #5
    Yes of course. v is the indefinate integral of v' and not over the boundary of the initial region. I should have realize this before. Thanks!

Then, is there anything to be done without knowing the exact form of f(k,x)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook