1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Integration and Differentiation Problem

1. Jun 20, 2013 #1
    The question is the following:

y = (lower limit 0, upper limit e2x)∫ (1/T)

Find y'(2)

According to the markscheme, the answer is equal to 4e2. I got 2e2.

I did the following:

I integrated the expression, which yielded: 2√t. I then substituted the upper and lower limits in, which gave me:

2ex

I then differentiated that, which yields:

2ex

I proceeded to substitute 2 in, which gave me 2e2

Can anyone shed some light onto this for me please?

Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2013 #2
    Could u write it on a paper and post. I'm on phone, can't read the equation clearly. If I could I will try help

4. Jun 20, 2013 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Are you familiar with the fundamental theorem of calculus? If so, what is the result of this :

$$\frac{d}{dx} y = \frac{d}{dx} \int_{0}^{e^{2x}} \frac{1}{t} dt$$

5. Jun 20, 2013 #4
    I forgot to add (and this might answer your question, Zondrina) that, my first instinct was the following: If y is equal to the integral of 1/t, then the derivative of y should be equal to 1/t. But, if I went on and substituted 1/2 into the equation, I would be left with 1/2, which is not equal to any of the options available.

Anyway, is the answer to what you asked me (1/T)? :blushing:

6. Jun 20, 2013 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You are really oversimplifying things. Here is what is true:
    $$ \text{If } f(x) = \int_0^x \frac{dt}{t}$$
    then f'(x) = 1/x

The fact that your integral has an upper limit of e2x rather than x is very significant, and means that you will need to apply the chain rule when you differentiate.
    Also, do not delete the homework template when you post a problem. It's there for a reason.

7. Jun 20, 2013 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

An easy way to remember the theorem is this :

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t) dt = f(b(x))(b'(x)) - f(a(x))(a'(x))$$

It will give you the correct answer.

8. Jun 20, 2013 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Speaking only for myself, I find it simpler to use the chain rule directly than to remember a canned formula (that could possibly be remembered incorrectly).

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^{u(x)} f(t) dt =\frac{d}{du} \left( \int_a^{u(x)} f(t) dt \right) * \frac{du}{dx}$$
    $$=f(u(x)) * \frac{du}{dx}$$

Applying this idea to the original integral entails splitting it into two integrals.

9. Jun 20, 2013 #8
    Thank you very much to both of you. As a matter of fact, I knew the "canned formula" but had never been introduced to the concept of chain rule through this way, hence, I had no idea I had to apply it here.

Thank you once again and sorry for deleting the template.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted