Simple Integration and Differentiation Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of finding y'(2) for the given integral, with one person getting an answer of 2e2 and the other person asking for clarification on the use of the fundamental theorem of calculus. Ultimately, it is determined that the chain rule must be applied in order to find the correct answer of 4e2. The conversation also addresses the importance of not oversimplifying problems and using the appropriate formula or rule.
Peter G.
The question is the following:

y = (lower limit 0, upper limit e2x)∫ (1/T)

Find y'(2)

According to the markscheme, the answer is equal to 4e2. I got 2e2.

I did the following:

I integrated the expression, which yielded: 2√t. I then substituted the upper and lower limits in, which gave me:

2ex

I then differentiated that, which yields:

2ex

I proceeded to substitute 2 in, which gave me 2e2

Can anyone shed some light onto this for me please?

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could u write it on a paper and post. I'm on phone, can't read the equation clearly. If I could I will try help

Peter G. said:
The question is the following:

y = (lower limit 0, upper limit e2x)∫ (1/T)

Find y'(2)

According to the markscheme, the answer is equal to 4e2. I got 2e2.

I did the following:

I integrated the expression, which yielded: 2√t. I then substituted the upper and lower limits in, which gave me:

2ex

I then differentiated that, which yields:

2ex

I proceeded to substitute 2 in, which gave me 2e2

Can anyone shed some light onto this for me please?

Thank you in advance!

Are you familiar with the fundamental theorem of calculus? If so, what is the result of this :

$$\frac{d}{dx} y = \frac{d}{dx} \int_{0}^{e^{2x}} \frac{1}{t} dt$$

I forgot to add (and this might answer your question, Zondrina) that, my first instinct was the following: If y is equal to the integral of 1/t, then the derivative of y should be equal to 1/t. But, if I went on and substituted 1/2 into the equation, I would be left with 1/2, which is not equal to any of the options available.

Anyway, is the answer to what you asked me (1/T)? :blushing:

Peter G. said:
I forgot to add (and this might answer your question, Zondrina) that, my first instinct was the following: If y is equal to the integral of 1/t, then the derivative of y should be equal to 1/t.
You are really oversimplifying things. Here is what is true:
$$ \text{If } f(x) = \int_0^x \frac{dt}{t}$$
then f'(x) = 1/x

The fact that your integral has an upper limit of e2x rather than x is very significant, and means that you will need to apply the chain rule when you differentiate.
Peter G. said:
But, if I went on and substituted 1/2 into the equation, I would be left with 1/2, which is not equal to any of the options available.

Anyway, is the answer to what you asked me (1/T)? :blushing:

Also, do not delete the homework template when you post a problem. It's there for a reason.

An easy way to remember the theorem is this :

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t) dt = f(b(x))(b'(x)) - f(a(x))(a'(x))$$

It will give you the correct answer.

Likes 1 person
Zondrina said:
An easy way to remember the theorem is this :

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(t) dt = f(b(x))(b'(x)) - f(a(x))(a'(x))$$

It will give you the correct answer.

Speaking only for myself, I find it simpler to use the chain rule directly than to remember a canned formula (that could possibly be remembered incorrectly).

$$\frac{d}{dx} \int_a^{u(x)} f(t) dt =\frac{d}{du} \left( \int_a^{u(x)} f(t) dt \right) * \frac{du}{dx}$$
$$=f(u(x)) * \frac{du}{dx}$$

Applying this idea to the original integral entails splitting it into two integrals.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much to both of you. As a matter of fact, I knew the "canned formula" but had never been introduced to the concept of chain rule through this way, hence, I had no idea I had to apply it here.

Thank you once again and sorry for deleting the template.

1. What is the difference between integration and differentiation?

Integration and differentiation are two fundamental concepts in calculus. Integration is the process of finding the area under a curve, while differentiation is the process of finding the slope of a curve. In other words, integration is the inverse operation of differentiation.

2. How is the power rule used in simple integration and differentiation problems?

The power rule is a basic rule used in both integration and differentiation. In integration, it is used to find the antiderivative of a function, while in differentiation, it is used to find the derivative of a function. The power rule states that when differentiating or integrating a term with a variable raised to a power, the power is reduced by one and the new coefficient is the original coefficient multiplied by the original power.

3. What is the chain rule and how is it used in differentiation problems?

The chain rule is a rule used to find the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, it is a method for differentiating functions that are composed of other functions.

4. How do you solve integration and differentiation problems involving trigonometric functions?

To solve integration and differentiation problems involving trigonometric functions, you can use trigonometric identities and substitution. Trigonometric identities can be used to simplify the problem, while substitution can be used to change the variable and make the problem easier to solve. It is also important to remember the derivatives and integrals of common trigonometric functions.

5. Can integration and differentiation be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, integration and differentiation have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. For example, integration can be used to calculate the area under a velocity-time graph to find the displacement of an object, while differentiation can be used to calculate the rate of change of a variable in a business model. These concepts are essential in understanding and solving real-world problems.