Simple Lagrangian mechanics problem.

In summary, the conversation was about finding the Lagrangian and canonical equations of motion for a system consisting of two point masses connected by a rigid, massless bar and a spring. The system is subjected to gravity and can only rotate in the z-x plane. The discussion includes identifying two generalized coordinates and considering limits and their implications on the equations.
Lavabug

Homework Statement

See image (I think I forgot to rotate it, careful with your necks!):
http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/7888/p1000993t.jpg

The system consists of 2 point masses joined by a rigid massless bar of length 2l, which can rotate freely only in the z-x plane. The center of the bar is attached to a spring with constant k, natural length delta, which remains along the OY axis. Gravity acts down along the z-axis. Find the Lagrangian and the canonical equations of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wanted to check if my solution looks correct, I identified 2 generalized coordinates total.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your set up looks fine to me, though I didn't actually check your differentiation. You should have 2 generalized coordinates: one from the bar because the bar is rigid, and another from the spring. What you need to ask yourself is, what are some limits I can take, what do I expect from the limits, and what do the limits from your equations actually give? For example, in the case that mass 2 is much bigger than mass 1, what physical system do you now have, and do your equations support it?

Mindscrape said:
Your set up looks fine to me, though I didn't actually check your differentiation. You should have 2 generalized coordinates: one from the bar because the bar is rigid, and another from the spring. What you need to ask yourself is, what are some limits I can take, what do I expect from the limits, and what do the limits from your equations actually give? For example, in the case that mass 2 is much bigger than mass 1, what physical system do you now have, and do your equations support it?

Not sure what you mean by "one from the bar", do you mean an angle that the center of the bar makes with the X axis? I hope so lol.

When m2>>m1... don't know what I'd have, I think my equation of motion is general enough. I guess you could say if one mass was really big, the bar wouldn't rotate much... maybe something worth studying from the point of small oscillations, but that's not what I'm asked in this problem. :P

What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of physical systems. It was developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the late 1700s and is based on the principle of least action.

What is a simple Lagrangian mechanics problem?

A simple Lagrangian mechanics problem is a problem that involves analyzing the motion of a physical system using the Lagrangian mechanics framework. This typically involves identifying the system's constraints, finding the Lagrangian function, and using the Euler-Lagrange equations to solve for the system's motion.

What are the advantages of using Lagrangian mechanics?

One advantage of using Lagrangian mechanics is that it provides a more elegant and concise way of analyzing the motion of physical systems compared to traditional Newtonian mechanics. It also allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can simplify complex problems. Additionally, it is a more general approach that can be applied to systems with constraints and allows for the use of energy conservation principles.

What are some common applications of Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. Some common applications include analyzing the motion of rigid bodies, studying the dynamics of mechanical systems, and predicting the behavior of particles in fields such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

What are some limitations of Lagrangian mechanics?

While Lagrangian mechanics is a powerful tool for analyzing physical systems, it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to systems that are conservative and have a well-defined potential energy function. It also does not take into account dissipative forces, such as friction, which can be important in certain situations.