Simple Line Integral becomes troublesome

In summary, the conversation discussed the parametrization of C and the calculation of an integral with respect to the arclength. The values of x, y, and z were obtained for the boundary conditions of t=0 and t=10*pi. The mistake of forgetting the identity sin^2(t)+cos^2(t)=1 was pointed out and corrected.
gipc
I have the parametrization of C
x=9cos(t)
y=9sin(t)
z=-8t

0<=t<=10*pi

and I have to calculate [tex]\int_c[/tex] 7x^2+4y^2 -5xy

after I transform this I get
(7*81cos^2(t) +4*81sin^2(t) -5*81*cos(t)*sin(t))*sqrt(-9sin^2(t)+9cos^2(t)-8) dt from 0 to 10*pi

Now that is a monster.
What did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Obtain the values of x, y, z in terms of the boundary conditions for t, i.e. t = 0 and t = [itex]10\pi[/itex]. It should be easier to solve.

When t= 0 x= 9, y= 0, z= 0.

When [itex]t= 10\pi[/itex], x= 9, y= 0, [itex]z= -80\pi[/itex].

I don't see how that helps at all!

gipc, you statement [itex]\int_c 7x^2+ 4y^2- 5z^2[/itex] is missing the differential. Is that with respect to dx, dy, dz, or the arclength ds, or what?

Because of the square root, I assume it is ds but it would not be what you give. it would be
[tex]\sqrt{81 sin^2(t)+ 81 cos^2(t)+ 64}dt= \sqrt{81+ 64}dt= \sqrt{145}dt[/tex]

Did you forget that [itex]sin^2(t)+ cos^2(t)= 1[/itex]?

yes, i did forget :)
thanks for that, that was the mistake that was holding me back

1. What is a simple line integral?

A simple line integral is a mathematical concept that involves finding the area under a curve in two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work or potential energy.

2. Why does a simple line integral become troublesome?

A simple line integral can become troublesome when the curve being integrated over is complex or difficult to define. This can lead to challenging calculations and potential errors.

3. How is a simple line integral different from a regular integral?

A simple line integral is a specific type of integral that is used to calculate the area under a curve in two-dimensional space. It differs from a regular integral, which can involve integration over multiple dimensions or with more complex functions.

4. What are some real-world applications of simple line integrals?

Simple line integrals have many practical uses, including calculating the work done by a force on an object, finding the area of a region, and determining the potential energy in a system. They are also used in physics, engineering, and economics.

5. How can I simplify a troublesome simple line integral?

One way to simplify a troublesome simple line integral is to break it up into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve splitting the curve into smaller sections or using known integration techniques to solve each part separately. Additionally, using computer software or graphing tools can also help with simplifying complex integrals.