1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple marginal distribution problem

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    Hey guys,

Doin revision for my maths exam and i came across this question from a past exam:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find fx(x,y) of
    [tex]f(x,y) = \frac{(1+4xy)}{2} for 0 \leq x, y \leq 1[/tex] and zero otherwise

2. Relevant equations
    Now this should equal[tex] \int \frac{(1+4xy)}{2} dy [/tex]over all y but that leads to infinities ( as y goes from minus infinity to 1)which obviously we can't have. Im sure im missing something simple and stupid i just need someone to point ito out :)

Cheers
    -G

NOTE: Sorry this latex is stuffing up, tryin to fix it

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2007 #2

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might want to split the integral into a couple of pieces. Remeber:
    [tex]f(x,y) \neq \frac{1+4xy}{2}[/tex]

4. Jun 4, 2007 #3
    I think what Nate is trying to say is that f(x,y) is only defined on a certain domain. Since f(x,y) is a pdf, y cannot be arbitrarily negative as this would make f(x,y) negative. Remember, the integral of f(x,y) over the domain must be 1.

Try to make sense of your domains. Draw them. X and Y can sometimes be dependant on each other...which can make things complicated.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't this expression,

[tex]0 \leq x, y \leq 1[/tex]

mean x and y are both in [0,1]? If y runs to minus infinity the question doesn't make much sense.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #5

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Actually, [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] is only non-zero on a certain domain, it's defined on the entire plane.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  7. Jun 4, 2007 #6
    A good thing to do, is first draw your "support". Sketch where the function is non-zero. This allows you to easily setup the bounds on the integral.

8. Jun 4, 2007 #7
    Oh come on! Grant me some liberties. Although you're right, I probably shouldn't have used those words.

9. Jun 5, 2007 #8
    Ah of course! i did draw it, i just drew it wrong :P thanks guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?