1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics - Finding marginal distribution through integration (I think?)

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem 2
    Assume that the number Y of customers entering a store is a Poisson random variable with rate λ
    . Let X denote the number of these customers being a woman. The probability that a customer
    is a woman is denoted by p. Also, assume that all customers enter the store independently.

a) Explain why the conditional distribution of X given Y = y is binomial.

b) Show that the marginal distribution of X is Poisson with rate pλ

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\Gamma(\alpha)=∫^\infty_0 t^{\alpha-1}e^{-t} dt[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm having troubles with b.
    I think I should use the relation [itex]P(X=x|Y=y)=\frac{P(X=x,Y=x)}{P(Y=y)}[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\int^\infty_0 f(x,y)dy[/itex] to get [itex]f(x)=\int^\infty_0 f(x|y)f(y)dy[/itex].

When I then put in probability distributions I get [itex]f(x)=∫^\infty_0 C_x^y*p^x(1-p)^{y-x}*\frac{\lambda^y*e^{\lambda}}{x!}dy=\frac{p^x}{x!*(1-p)^x}\int^\infty_0 \frac{((1-p)\lambda)^ye^{-\lambda}}{(y-x)!}[/itex]

Is that a solvable integral or is there an easier method? I'm thinking of trying to make a substitution so a get a gamma function out of it, but I can't get it right.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Poisson random variables are discrete: they take only values 0,1,2,3,... so they do not have probability density functions and you cannot integrate. Instead, they have probability mass functions and you have to sum.

Instead of X and Y I will use C = number of customers and W = number of women, within some specified time interval of length t. So, C is Poisson with mean m = r*t (where r = entry rate: your post did not actually give a value here).

Now suppose C = 4 (4 customers enter); can you give the distribution of W? (That would be P{W = k|C = 4} for k = 0,1,2,3,4.) Suppose, instead, that 100 customers enter; can you now give the distribution of W? (That would be P{W = k|C = 100} for k = 0,1,2,...,100.) So, what is P{W = k|C = n} for k = 0,1,2,...,n?

RGV

4. Sep 15, 2012 #3
    Feels stupid

The rate was λ, the copypaste ate it.

With C=4 will it be
    [itex]P(W=k|C=4)=C^4_kp^x(1-p)^{4-k}[/itex]

So
    [itex]P(W=k|C=n)=C^n_kp^x(1-p)^{n-k}[/itex]?

And
    [itex]P(W=k)=\Sigma^n_{i=1}P(W=k|C=i)P(C=i)[/itex]?

Or can I say that [itex]\lim_{n\to\infty}bin(n,p)\approx poiss(np)[/itex]

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  5. Sep 16, 2012 #4
    I've solved it btw, so no one wastes any time here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook