1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple pendulum: Determine the velocity

1. Aug 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A homogeneous bar with length 0.6 m and mass m = 2 kg is fixed to a wall via a hinged connection in the vertical plane. At the end of the bar a constant force F acts of 150 N. The bar is released from the vertical equibrilium position. Determine the velocity (of the COG) and the angular velocity of the bar when the bar reaches a horizontal postition.

The answer from the book is: [itex]\omega [/itex] = 26.4 rad/s and [itex]v_{COG}[/itex] = 7.9 m/s

2. Relevant equations
    Work moment : [tex] M = I \theta [/tex]
    Rotational energy:

[tex] \frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] M \theta =\frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2 =\frac{1}{2} (\frac{1}{3}ML^2) \omega ^2 [/tex]

[tex] 150 \cdot0.6 \cdot \pi/2= 1/2 \cdot 1/3\cdot 2 \cdot 0.6^2 \cdot \omega^2 \rightarrow \omega =\ 34.32 rad/s [/tex]

What mistake am I making?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2015 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I see no gravity here.

4. Aug 5, 2015 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Potential energy

5. Aug 5, 2015 #4
    The gravity is not mentioned in the exercise but let's add it:

[tex] M \theta =\frac{1}{2} I \omega ^2 + mg\Delta h \rightarrow\ \omega = 23.5\ rad/s [/tex]

Why is my answer not agreeing with the one from the book?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  6. Aug 5, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question is not clear. Which way is F acting initially, and which way does it act later?
    It says the force is constant, not that its magnitude is constant. That suggests its direction is constant.

7. Aug 6, 2015 #6
    Yeah you're right the question is posed wrongly.. I found out I get the right answer if I assume the force acts horizontally.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted