Simple problem calculate total Resistance parallel

In summary, the problem involves three resistors (10 ohms, 30 ohms, and 15 ohms) connected in parallel between points A and B, with a voltage of 12 volts across them. The task is to calculate the total resistance (Rtotal) using the equation 1/R = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3. After simplifying, the result is Rtotal = 5 ohms.
late347

Homework Statement

I made this problem on my own.
resistors are
10 ohms
30 ohms
15 ohms

they are in parallel connections between A and B points
Voltage across A and B = 12 volts
calculate Rtotal

Homework Equations

1/ R = 1/ R1 ´+ 1/R2 + 1/R3

The Attempt at a Solution

1/R = 1/10 +1/30 + 1/15

1/R = 6/30 = 1/5

R/1 = 30/6 = 5/1
R= 5 ohms

If the inverse of R = 6/30

I guess then R itself should be inverse of (6/30) = 30/6

I think I got the same result with the laborious method.

1/R = 6/30 ]]]] * R
1= 6R/30 ]]]] * 30
30= 6R ]]]] / 6
30/6 = R
R= 5 ohms

Physics news on Phys.org
I get 5 Ohms also. :smile:

All what you write is mathematically correct but you just playing with algebra and the equation , especially in the last 5 lines of your post.

1. What is parallel resistance and why is it important to calculate?

Parallel resistance refers to the total resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected in parallel. It is important to calculate because it helps determine the overall current and voltage in the circuit, which are crucial for proper functioning of electronic devices.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a parallel circuit, you can use the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or software to simplify the calculation.

3. Can the total resistance in a parallel circuit ever be smaller than the smallest individual resistance?

Yes, the total resistance in a parallel circuit can be smaller than the smallest individual resistance. This is because when resistors are connected in parallel, the overall resistance decreases as the current has multiple paths to flow through.

4. What happens to the total resistance in a parallel circuit when more resistors are added?

When more resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance decreases. This is because the added resistors provide more paths for current to flow, resulting in a decrease in overall resistance.

5. Can the total resistance in a parallel circuit ever be equal to zero?

No, the total resistance in a parallel circuit can never be equal to zero. This is because even if one of the resistors has a value of zero, there will still be some resistance in the other resistors, resulting in a non-zero total resistance.