1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to make total resistance of 1 ohm?

1. Nov 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We have 1Ω, 2Ω, 2Ω, 4Ω, 5Ω and 6Ω resistors. We have to make a circuit with all of them and total resistance must be 1 ohm.
    2. Relevant equations
    Parallel: 1/R1+1/R2=1/R
    In series: R1+R2=R

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have only made a circuit from 4 resistors:
    1 ohm and 2 ohms in series, 6 ohms parallel to them and 2 ohms parallel to them all

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Abs, :welcome:

Unfortunately, that doesn't count as an attempt (more like an arbitrary guess).
    You need a bit more than that; considerations, for example. Like:
    Your last step will be a parallel circuit (because a series will exceed 1 ##\Omega##).
    That parallel circuit will have ##\ge## two sub-circuits, etc. etc.
    Fortunately, I don't have the answer either. :smile: so you must take the first next step

[edit] With a little trial and error I stumbled on the (or: a ) solution. How far are you ?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  4. Nov 30, 2016 #3
    Oh, I suppose there could be two parallel circuit from 2 ohms and another sub-circuit totally of 2 ohms and so on, I understand how these laws work, but I can't construct such circuit. Just playing on with resistors.

5. Nov 30, 2016 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, one of the considerations is: the 1 ##\Omega## can't be a single parallel branch (total would go under 1 ##\Omega##).

So the first candidate as a parallel branch would be the 2 ##\Omega##. That reduces the problem to making another 2 ##\Omega## with the remaining 5 resistors (1,1,4,5,6) (since 2 ##\Omega\, \parallel \, 2 \Omega = 1 \Omega ## )

And so on. You're almost there :rolleyes: !

6. Nov 30, 2016 #5
    And this is where I stop. Is it possible to combine 2 ohms in 2 parallel branches from remaining 5 resistors? Or do we need 3 branches?

7. Nov 30, 2016 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. So in total you end up with three branches: one of 2 ohm.
    The remainder needs to be 2 ohm. Can't be one branch (I think -- why not ?) but two branches is worth investigating
    [edit] turns out to be mistaken. See below .

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  8. Nov 30, 2016 #7
    Oh, I've just found an answer. It's (6 ∥ 5+1∥ 4+2) ∥ 2
    Was your solution simpler?

9. Nov 30, 2016 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Brilliant ! Well done.

My solution was for the wrong problem (1,1,2,4,5,6) o:) instead of (1,2,2,4,5,6). Want to try that too ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted