1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Projectile Motion I'm sure

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A group of physics students are conducting an experiment in projectile motion. They want to launch a ball into a bucket that is 8 m away from their spring-loaded launcher. They have hypothesized that by setting their launcher to its long-range setting and placing the launcher barrel at a 35 degree angle that they can consistently hit the bucket when they fire the launcher. Ignoring air resistance, calculate the time of flight for the ball in their experiment.

2. Relevant equations

x=x0+V0xt
    Vy=V0y-gt
    y=y0+V0yt-1/2gt^2
    x=(V0cos(theta))t
    y=(V0sin(theta))t-1/2gt^2
    Vx=V0cos(theta)0
    Vy=V0sin(theta)-gt

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure but I know this is simple. I am just brain dead right now because I am really sick but I need to get this done for tomorrow. I think you find the time using the y-components...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

You know the angle θ. You know that Vox = 8m / T = Vo*Cos35

You also know that VoSinθ is vertical velocity.

From V = Vo - g*T

you know then that time of flight is

VoSin35 - g*T/2 = -VoSin35 or T = 2VoSin35/g

Since T in both equations is equal then you can determine Vo and then you can figure the total time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook