Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple quadratic optimization problem

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    Let [tex]P^ + ,P^ - ,I,Q \in R^{n\times n}, K\in R^{n\times 1}, M\in R^{1 \times n}[/tex], and assume that [tex]Q[/tex] is positive definite, [tex]P^ -[/tex] is positive semidefinite whence [tex](MP^ - M^T + Q)^{ - 1}[/tex] exists (where [tex]T[/tex] denotes transpose).

In what sense does [tex]K = P^ - M^T(MP^ - M^T + Q)^{ - 1}[/tex] minimize the quadratic expression [tex]P^ + : = (I - KM)P^ - (I - KM)^T + KQK^T[/tex], over [tex]K[/tex]?
    Is this minimization of [tex]P^ +[/tex] over all vectors [tex]K[/tex] with respect to the usual ordering for positive semidefinite matrices [tex]A\le B[/tex] iff [tex]B - A [/tex]is positive semidefinite?

Next consider the extension [tex]P^ + : = (I - KAM)P^ - (I - KAM)^T + KAQA^TK^T[/tex], where [tex]A\in R^{n\times 1}, K\in R^{n\times n}[/tex] and [tex]K[/tex] diagonal, where all other matrices are as above.
    What is the minimum over [tex]K[/tex] (with respect to the previous ordering or something )??

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2009 #2
    I think maybe there is a typo, because if K is a column vector (in Rnx1) and Q a square matrix then KQK* is meaningless, you can't do that matrix multiplication. However, if you meant that K is a row vector, then that implies KQK* is a scalar, so it cannot possibly add to anything to equal the nxn matrix P+.

4. Feb 28, 2009 #3
    That is correct [tex]Q > 0[/tex], a scalar.

Please help with this.

5. Feb 28, 2009 #4
    What are your thoughts on the problem so far?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook