1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple variable control question.

1. Dec 21, 2005 #1
    Hello, I am making a lab investigating friction of an object and I just need a "method" of controlling acceleration in the experiment so the object travels at a constant velocity. This is really the only way I can think of having the experiment work out correctly so I really need help with this. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2005 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

How about a 60Hz motor spinning a threaded rod, with the nut attached to your object? The constant angular velocity of the motor will give you a constant linear velocity at the travelling nut. It's not a constant acceleration, but a constant force, which is opposed by a frictional force in your experiment, I would guess....

4. Dec 21, 2005 #3
    Thank you, greatly appreciated. This is due tomorrow you just helped me out a great deal. thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?