Calculating controller gain in a feedback loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of 'disturbance feedback control' to an electric heating system and determining the required value of the proportional controller gain, H, to eliminate the effect of the disturbance. It is suggested to calculate the transfer function for the disturbance, θD, and use it as an input to determine the desired output. The final gain of H is found to be 25 through trial and error. There is also a discussion about how to get the transfer function for θD and the use of signal paths to determine the desired output.
Keeeen

Homework Statement

FIGURE 3 shows the block biagram of the control of an electric heating system. The heater is driven from a voltage-controlled power supple, the voltage V1 being derived from a potentiometer. The output temperature, θo is subject to distrubances, θd, because of changes in ambient temperature. It is proposed to apply 'disturbance feedback control' to the system by the inclusion of a transducer that measures the external temperature and feeds a signal back to the input via a proportional controller of gain H.

Determine the required value of H to eleminate the effect of the disturbance.

See figure 3 attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So the learning material I've been given does not give any help with trying to find the gain of a controller in a loop.
I'm thinking I need to determine the transfer function of the loop and work from there? Or is it a lot easier than that.
If anyone could give me some guidance as to where to start that would be appreciated.

Attachments

• value of H.PNG
    value of H.PNG
    5.2 KB · Views: 318
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,
why not write down a transfer function for ##\theta_D## and see what it brings ?

We can't really help: see guidelines

BvU said:
Hi,
why not write down a transfer function for ##\theta_D## and see what it brings ?

We can't really help: see guidelines

A transfer function for the disturbance? I thought θD would just = the change in ambient temperature?

Yes, it is. But ##\theta_D## is not a transfer function

Okay I'm not sure if I'm on the right tracks with this, I've got so far -

θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD

Am i going in the right direction? Not sure how to get the transfer function for θD now

I got to this point by -

E = Vi - Mv
Mv = H * 0.05 * θD

E = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD

θo = E (PSU * Heater) + θD

I have no idea how you would get a transfer function for θD, as it just a disturbance. There's no input to create an output for θD?

Use θD as an input and calculate the output it produces when other inputs are constant.
(Edit 2: I see you got θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD , which seems ok.)

Then ask yourself, what output do you want to get from variations in θD.

Edit 1:
The output temperature, θo is subject to distrubances, θd, because of changes in ambient temperature. It is proposed to apply 'disturbance feedback control' to the system ... Determine the required value of H to eleminate the effect of the disturbance.

Last edited:
Likes Keeeen
Merlin3189 said:
Use θD as an input and calculate the output it produces when other inputs are constant.
(Edit 2: I see you got θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD , which seems ok.)

Then ask yourself, what output do you want to get from variations in θD.

Edit 1:

So potentially from variations in θD the output you would want is the set-point - variations in disturbance.

If there were no disturbances, θD = 0,
then your θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD
becomes θO = Vi
That is what you want even when θD ≠ 0

Likes Keeeen
Merlin3189 said:
If there were no disturbances, θD = 0,
then your θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD
becomes θO = Vi
That is what you want even when θD ≠ 0
Ah yes, so if the disturbance was 2 for example, it would become -

θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD(2*0.4) + 2
θo = Vi - H * 2.08
θo = Vi - 1 * 2.08 = Vi

Keeeen said:
Ah yes, so if the disturbance was 2 for example, it would become -
θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD(2*0.4) + 2 Here you've substituted one θD, but not the other?
θo = Vi - H * 2.08 I don't quite see this
θo = Vi - 1 * 2.08 = Vi Here you seem to say H=1, and then, 2.08 =0

I agree your expression, θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD
which means, the output = the demanded input and a function of the disturbance
Since you want the output to equal the demanded input, then the function of the disturbance must be zero.

Another way of looking at it would be to rearrange your expression,
θo = Vi - θD( H * 0.05 * (2*0.4) - 1)
But you want θO = Vi , so what does - θD( H * 0.05 * (2*0.4) - 1) equal?

Merlin3189 said:
I agree your expression, θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD
which means, the output = the demanded input and a function of the disturbance
Since you want the output to equal the demanded input, then the function of the disturbance must be zero.

Another way of looking at it would be to rearrange your expression,
θo = Vi - θD( H * 0.05 * (2*0.4) - 1)
But you want θO = Vi , so what does - θD( H * 0.05 * (2*0.4) - 1) equal?

It must equal 0?

Sorry I'm struggling ot understand how I can get to the final gain of H

so rearranging the expression,

θo + θD (H * 0.05 * 0.8 - 1) = Vi

EDIT : H = 25

I only got this by trial and error by inputting numbers. I can't see or picture how this works though, could you explain for my piece of mind how i'd get to this point.
Thanks so much for the help btw

EDIT 2: Also how did you go from
this : θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD
to this : θo = Vi - θD( H * 0.05 * (2*0.4) - 1)

Last edited:
Considering ##θ_d## at the output summer you have: $$θ_d-θ_d\times0,05H\times2\times0,4=θ_d(1-H\times0,04) $$

Keeeen said:
It must equal 0?EDIT 2: Also how did you go from
this : θo = Vi - H * 0.05 * θD (2*0.4) + θD
to this : θo = Vi - θD( H * 0.05 * (2*0.4) - 1)
tempcalc.png

I prefer not to go through the formalities of transfer functions here, because it is a simple system.
If θD is to have no effect, then the two signal paths must produce equal and opposite outputs.
So straightaway 0.05 x H x (-1) x 2 x 0.4 = - (+1)
so 0.04H = 1

Attachments

• tempcalc.png
    tempcalc.png
    8.4 KB · Views: 316
Likes Keeeen
Keeeen said:
I have no idea how you would get a transfer function for θD, as it just a disturbance. There's no input to create an output for θD?

See, eg., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory
for appropriate formulas and explanations.

1. How do you calculate the controller gain in a feedback loop?

To calculate the controller gain in a feedback loop, you will need to first determine the open-loop gain of the system. This can be done by measuring the output of the system when the input is set to a known value. Once you have the open-loop gain, you can then use the desired closed-loop gain to calculate the controller gain using the formula: Kc = (desired closed-loop gain) / (open-loop gain).

2. What is the purpose of calculating the controller gain in a feedback loop?

The controller gain in a feedback loop is used to adjust the output of a system based on the input and desired closed-loop gain. It ensures that the system operates at the desired level and maintains stability.

3. How does the controller gain affect the performance of a feedback loop?

The controller gain directly affects the response time and stability of a feedback loop. A higher controller gain will result in a faster response time, but it can also lead to instability if not properly tuned. A lower controller gain will result in a slower response time, but it can also improve stability.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing the controller gain for a feedback loop?

When choosing the controller gain for a feedback loop, you should consider the desired closed-loop gain, the open-loop gain of the system, and the stability of the system. You should also consider the type of controller being used and any limitations or constraints of the system.

5. Can the controller gain be adjusted after it has been calculated?

Yes, the controller gain can be adjusted after it has been calculated. In fact, it is often necessary to fine-tune the controller gain to optimize the performance of the feedback loop. This can be done through trial and error, or by using advanced tuning methods such as Ziegler-Nichols or Cohen-Coon.