Easy Algebra Learning: Simplify the Process

In summary, there is no one easiest or simplest way to learn algebra. It is best to use a good textbook and work through the explanations, examples, and exercises.
Robert Wilson
Is there any simplest way to learn algebra?

Physics news on Phys.org
Best to use a good textbook. Read the sections in order, as many times as you need; work through the explanations. Work through the examples; work through the sections' exercises, and check your answers and use answer key if necessary.

Start in Introductory Algebra, Elementary Algebra, or Algebra 1.

That might be "simple"; but not assured to be "easy". Learning and study require effort. Most of the properties you study and hope to learn are uncomplicated to understand. Sometimes putting them all together as you study becomes difficult, which just means, effort is needed. Studying every day is needed.

There are some nice videos by Professor Leonard on Youtube. There are ones he calls "Prealgebra" and ones he calls "Intermediate Algebra".

Robert Wilson said:
Is there any simplest way to learn algebra?

That depends on your current knowledge and abilities.

I'm curious whether your question is related to a link you gave in a post (now deleted) to another website. It was a question from a tutor and a gruff answer by a supposed experienced tutor.

Practice makes perfect.

It is though of utmost importance to be NEAT and ORDERLY
Show every step on a separate line, rewriting the whole equation each time you manipulate it.
Keep your lines level
and keep the individual terms of your equations aligned vertically.
BECAUSE if you don't,
you WILL make little mistakes in arithmetic that cause you to get the wrong answers,
and THAT will make you think algebra is difficult .
It's not algebra that is difficult ,
what IS difficult is mustering the discipline to be neat and orderly as you go about your algebra.

Same applies to calculus.

I cannot overstress importance of the above. Form good habits early.

old jim

Likes Robert Wilson
jim hardy said:
Practice makes perfect.

Show every step on a separate line, rewriting the whole equation each time you manipulate it.
Keep your lines level
BECAUSE if you don't,
you WILL make little mistakes in arithmetic that cause you to get the wrong answers,
what IS difficult is mustering the discipline to be neat and orderly as you go about your algebra.

old jim
Much of that means, do not try to hold everything you are working with and the computations in your head. WRITE the steps, as many steps as you need.
The strength and magic of basic algebra is not the holding of steps and computations in your head; but in carrying the steps outward, on paper, and choosing the properties needed to handle the numeric expressions and equations/or inequalities.

Likes jim hardy
symbolipoint said:
The strength and magic of basic algebra is not the holding of steps and computations in your head; but in carrying the steps outward, on paper, and choosing the properties needed to handle the numeric expressions and equations/or inequalities.

Well Said !

A mind that's too quick can be a real handicap to a beginning algebra student..
Like the old song says "Slow down, you move too fast.."

The strength and magic of basic algebra is not the holding of steps and computations in your head; but in carrying the steps outward, on paper,
Amen !

jim hardy said:

A mind that's too quick can be a real handicap to a beginning algebra student..
Like the old song says "Slow down, you move too fast.."

That helps me to know why learning most of basic algebra in high school was more effective than the other subject-matter subjects! That was mostly just me; a person with a slower mind.

Khan Academy is also a good place to start.

Likes YoungPhysicist
You all seem to know what is meant by "algebra". I'm curious, as the term without an additional adjective refers usually to simple arithmetic. I'm used to associate with it what in English is called abstract algebra, i.e. groups, fields, rings and modules, etc. So is it "obvious" that only arithmetic is meant here?

Likes berkeman
What i had in mind was my ninth grade algebra class
which was a step up from arithmetic
in that we used letters instead of numbers .

old jim

Likes symbolipoint
jim hardy said:
What i had in mind was my ninth grade algebra class
which was a step up from arithmetic
in that we used letters instead of numbers .

old jim
Thanks.

In this case https://openstax.org/subjects is another good source for books free to download. (I think they can also be ordered printed, but at least one can have a close look beforehand.)

symbolipoint said:
Best to use a good textbook. Read the sections in order, as many times as you need; work through the explanations. Work through the examples; work through the sections' exercises, and check your answers and use answer key if necessary.

Start in Introductory Algebra, Elementary Algebra, or Algebra 1.

That might be "simple"; but not assured to be "easy". Learning and study require effort. Most of the properties you study and hope to learn are uncomplicated to understand. Sometimes putting them all together as you study becomes difficult, which just means, effort is needed. Studying every day is needed.
Thanks a lot, i will definitely work on it. Can you suggest me some good apps to learn algebra?

Stephen Tashi said:
That depends on your current knowledge and abilities.

I'm curious whether your question is related to a link you gave in a post (now deleted) to another website. It was a question from a tutor and a gruff answer by a supposed experienced tutor.
Don't know what exactly you are talking about

fresh_42 said:
Thanks.

In this case https://openstax.org/subjects is another good source for books free to download. (I think they can also be ordered printed, but at least one can have a close look beforehand.)
Thanks for the help

jim hardy said:
Practice makes perfect.

Keep your lines level
BECAUSE if you don't,

old jim
Thanks Jim, But i think calculus is a way more difficult than algebra. The terms limits, functions, derivatives, integrals and infinite series seems to be more complex.

Robert Wilson said:
Thanks a lot, i will definitely work on it. Can you suggest me some good apps to learn algebra?

No. None of any kind.
What you need is one or two good algebra 1 textbooks, two or three hundred sheets of letter-sized paper, maybe about 40 sheets of graph paper, two or three regular pencils or one or two mechanical reloadable-lead pencils, eraser, and an inexpensive scientific calculator (this only to help with long computations or to help in checking your work). No "apps", and no other electronic technology needed of any sort. I would suggest, in case you have the interest or motivation, try to learn some basic simple computer programming but this is not necessary, and it can wait until much later; you might find that once you gained some significant algebra skills, you may want to automate some of the numeric results.

Robert Wilson said:
Thanks Jim, But i think calculus is a way more difficult than algebra. The terms limits, functions, derivatives, integrals and infinite series seems to be more complex.

Yes, it is. Learn your courses in this sequence:
  1. Algebra 1 or Introductory/Elementary/Beginning Algebra
  2. Algebra 2 or Intermediate Algebra
  3. Geometry
  4. Trigonometry
  5. Pre-Calculus Or College Algebra And Trigonometry (a combination course)
Some people might skip Trig as a separate course and do Precalculus instead.
Some people might skip Precalculus, but do the separate Trigonom course.
Some people might do Geometry BEFORE Algebra 2.
A few people might say that all you need before Calculus 1 is Algebra 2 and Trigonometry (but this might be a bad idea).

And then start into Calculus 1.

Likes Dale, Robert Wilson and berkeman
Robert Wilson said:
i think calculus is a way more difficult than algebra. The terms limits, functions, derivatives, integrals and infinite series seems to be more complex.

It's like any other subject you learn the vocabulary one term at a time and become familiar with its use.

I think you'll love calculus .
The textbook my school used was very practical. Author dedicated two chapters to each of those terms you mentioned - one chapter introduced the term and dwelt on the derivation, the next chapter was real world examples solving problems with real numbers.
Great for student engineers.

Like symbolipoint says - don't skimp on paper . Use plenty so you have room to be neat.

It is vitally important to keep up. I found the subject matter was presented at the maximum rate i could absorb it.
Do each night's homework that very night.
If you keep up it's as easy as waterskiing, the lessons fly by smoothly. Fall behind and it's like trying to swim up a waterfall.

old jim

Likes gmax137 and Robert Wilson

1. What is the best way to learn algebra?

The best way to learn algebra is to start by understanding the basic concepts and rules, such as order of operations and solving equations. Practice solving problems and use visual aids to help understand the concepts. Additionally, seek help from a tutor or join a study group to reinforce your understanding.

2. How can I simplify the process of learning algebra?

To simplify the process of learning algebra, break down the concepts into smaller, manageable parts. Start with the basics and gradually build upon them. Use real-life examples to make the concepts more relatable and practice regularly to reinforce your understanding.

3. Why is algebra important?

Algebra is important because it helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It is also a fundamental building block for many other math and science concepts, as well as everyday tasks such as budgeting and data analysis.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when learning algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid when learning algebra include not following the correct order of operations, not understanding the concept of variables, and not checking your work for errors. It is also important to avoid rushing through problems and to take the time to fully understand each step.

5. How can I overcome my fear of algebra?

To overcome your fear of algebra, start by acknowledging your fear and understanding that it is normal to feel intimidated by new concepts. Take a positive attitude towards learning and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Seek help if needed and practice consistently to build your confidence and understanding.