1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Work Done by Force Problem

1. May 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much work is done by the force [tex]\vec F = (-4.0\hat\imath-6.0\hat\jmath)\;{\rm N}[/tex] on a particle that moves through displacement [tex]\Delta\vec{r}=(-3.0\hat\imath+2.0\hat\jmath)\;{\rm m}[/tex]?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I decided to use the component form of the dot product method for this problem. (Or is the component form an alternative to the dot product?) Anyways, I set F as A and R as B, resulting in the following:

[tex]A_{x}B_{x} + A_{y}B_{y}[/tex]
    [tex]F_{x}r_{x} + F_{y}r_{y}[/tex]

[tex]\vec F = <-4, -6>[/tex]
    [tex]\vec r = <-3, 2>[/tex]

[tex]-4(-3) + (-6)(2)[/tex]
    [tex]\vec C = <12,-12>[/tex]

Then I took the square root of the sum of the sqaures:

[tex]\sqrt{288} \approx 17[/tex]

My answer of 17 was marked incorrect. Where did I go wrong? Any input is greatly appreciated.

I just realized that I must have made some major mistake. I just kind of "created" vector C out of nowhere. Any direction on this problem would be great.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out my error. Instead of creating vector C, I should have just stopped there, added 12 and -12, and got the correct answer of zero. Huzzah!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

The dot product is not a vector! It is scalar.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook