Simplifying Factorials: Proving (n+1)(n+1)!+(n+1)! =(n+2)!

In summary, the conversation discusses simplifying the equation (n+1)(n+1)!+(n+1)!= (n+2)! and the solution given is to factorize the left hand side to get [(n+1)!][(n+1)+1]. The person asking the question is embarrassed as they are having trouble with this for a discrete math class. Another question about (n+1)x + x is also asked.
hammonjj

Homework Statement

(n+1)(n+1)!+(n+1)! =(n+2)! simplify

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to know how to simplify this to show it is true. I know that the above statement is true, but I do not understand how to simplify the left hand side to show it.

Thanks, I really have no idea where to begin and, frankly, it's kind of embarrassing as this is for a discrete math class :(

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Factorize LHS then you will get [(n+1)!][(n+1)+1] :smile:

hammonjj said:

Homework Statement

(n+1)(n+1)!+(n+1)! =(n+2)! simplify

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to know how to simplify this to show it is true. I know that the above statement is true, but I do not understand how to simplify the left hand side to show it.

Thanks, I really have no idea where to begin and, frankly, it's kind of embarrassing as this is for a discrete math class :(

Thanks!
What is (n+1)x + x ?

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical function that multiplies a number by all of the positive integers that are smaller than it. It is represented by the exclamation mark (!) after a number. For example, 5! (read as "five factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do you simplify factorials?

To simplify a factorial, you need to find the largest number that can divide evenly into all the numbers in the factorial. Then, you divide each number in the factorial by that number and simplify the result. For example, to simplify 8!, you would divide each number (8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1) by the largest number that can divide into all of them, which is 2. This gives you 4 x 7 x 3 x 5 x 2 x 2 x 1 = 20160.

3. Can you simplify factorials with variables?

Yes, you can simplify factorials with variables using algebraic expressions. For example, to simplify n!, you would apply the same process as simplifying regular factorials - find the largest number that can divide into all the numbers in the factorial and divide each number by that number. However, in this case, the largest number will be the variable itself. So, n! can be simplified to n x (n-1) x (n-2) x ... x 2 x 1.

4. What is the purpose of simplifying factorials?

Simplifying factorials is useful for solving problems in combinatorics, probability, and algebraic equations. It can also help in simplifying complex mathematical expressions and making calculations easier.

5. Can factorials be negative or decimal numbers?

No, factorials are only defined for non-negative integers. Negative or decimal numbers do not have factorials, as they do not fit the definition of multiplying all the positive integers smaller than the given number.