1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying fractions with roots

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Simplify [tex]\frac{x^2 - \sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x^5}} [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Unsure

3. The attempt at a solution

Tried to factorise the numerator and denominator. Not sure how to proceed given the subtraction in the numerator. Best effort so far:

[tex]

\frac{x^2}{\sqrt{x^5}} - \frac{\sqrt{x}}{\sqrt{x^5} }} =
    \frac{x^2}{x^{ \frac{5}{2}}} - \frac{x^{\frac{1}{2}}} {x^\frac{5}{2}} =
    x^{ -\frac{1}{2}} - x^{-2} =
    \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{1} {\sqrt{x}}
    [/tex]

which, doesn't seem like much progress from the original equation

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If you multiplied top and bottom by x^(4/5), you'd at least get the radical out of the denominator, which is probably a good thing...

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3
    why did you choose [tex]x^{\frac{4}{5}}[/tex], or more specifically, how did you decide that value?

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

yes, that was my question! I would use [itex]x^{4/5}= \sqrt[5]{x^4}[/itex] if I wanted to rationalize [itex]\sqrt[5]{x}[/itex], but this was [itex]\sqrt{x^5}[/itex]. Why not multiply numerator and denominator by [itex]\sqrt{x^5}[/itex]?

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    Using [tex]\sqrt{x^5}[/tex] in the numerator and denominator sets it up as [tex]\frac{ (x^2 - x^\frac{1}{2}) x^\frac{5}{2} } { x^\frac{5}{2} x^\frac{5}{2} } [/tex] and I end up with [tex]x^{-\frac{1}{2}} - x^{-2} [/tex]. Am I starting off correctly?

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

My mistake. I must have looked at the square root of x^5, and mentally translated it as x^(1/5). Sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook